Friday, October 22, 2010

Winners All Around



As I sit in my little office (aka sunroom) I was just about to write up the souffle and the giveaway winner.

But I am interrupted by the beauty out the window.
It is one spectacular morning in Maine!
The colors across the river are brilliant and vivid in the sunlight. Russet and gold balanced with evergreen, crimson and pumpkin against a blue-gray sky. Every now and then I catch a quick glimpse of the eagle that makes its home in a nearby tree. Seagulls laze in the shallow water of low tide.
As the saying goes...the way life should be.



The photos don't really do it justice. You'll just have to come visit me.

And now  - back to your regularly scheduled food blog post.
.




So where's that EASY button?
I need it 'cause I made a souffle last night and I can't get over how little effort (and skill) it took.
Just goes to show that sometimes the things you fear the most aren't really scary. Maybe it's because they sound fancy and French. Or it's just because you've never done them before. 
Either way, don't fear the souffle!
(Which, by the way, means "breath" in French.)




It was magically light and puffy. I could have eaten the whole thing but was nice enough to share. 
If you've never made a souffle before, I urge you to give this one a try soon.
And there's no need to wait for a special occasion. 

Spinach and Gruyere Souffle
from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food

2 Tbsps. unsalted butter (plus more for use in the baking dish)

1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs

5 oz. fresh spinach, washed and trimmed if necessary

2 Tbsps. all purpose flour

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. whole milk

1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

2 large eggs, separated plus 2 more egg whites

sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a round 1-quart tall-sided baking dish (mine was slightly larger and it didn't make a difference), then dust with breadcrumbs, shaking out any excess. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsps. water over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a strainer or colander. Press to release liquid.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, until bubbling. Add flour and whisk until a paste forms. Continue to cook until pale blond in color, 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking continually until lumps are gone and the mixture thickens, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer souffle base to a large bowl.

In a food processor, pulse spinach and egg yolks until coarsely pureed. Add 1/4 cup of the souffle base into spinach mixture. Pulse until blended. Stir spinach mixture into remaining souffle base.

In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat 4 egg whites and a pinch of salt on medium high speed, until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. In 2 additions, gently fold egg whites into souffle base.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake until souffle is tall, lightly browned and firm to the touch, about 35 minutes. Avoid opening the oven during the first 25 minutes of baking.
Serve immediately.

Then pat yourself on the back.


I want to thank everyone who left a comment (or two) during my blog-i-versary week. Regulars and lurkers - I love hearing from you all. It makes me feel like I'm not writing into void. Thanks for sticking with me!

I wish I could give you all a prize. 
But there's just one reader who won the Fresh From Maine cookbook and Mignardise apron. 
The winner is...

Jayne! 
Send me your address in an email or a message on Facebook and I'll have the goods shipped to you as fast as I can. Readers, Jayne lives in Sweden and from what I understand, is a phenomenal bread baker and cake maker. Maybe she should have her own blog.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely photo, Karen! Not many leaves changing colors here in FL.

    I felt exactly the same way when I made creme brulee! Your souffle looks delish much better than chocolate!

    Congrats to Jayne.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your view is spectacular.:) Good for u and the souffle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Souffle! Beautiful pics!
    Your view is amazing...

    The first thing my husband ever cooked for me was a spinach souffle. Over 30 years ago....it was perfect and he never made one again, or much of anything else for that matter! Lol....you reminded me of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, yummy yummy yummy! Anything with guyere goes on my to be eaten list!
    Nice photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pictures! The souffle looks amazing too! You're so lucky with the view. It inspires me when I look at nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Happy Day! I won! I didn't have a minute yesterday to read this post so I was saving it to read in peace and quiet, (T.G.I.M!) What a perfect start to the week! Thank you, Karen and thank you for all the wonderful recipes, stories and pictures. Love it all. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous. It must be healthy too-- yes? All that nutritious spinach added to the protein in eggs. Whatever the nutritional value.... it looks warm and scrumptious! I'm printing for future reference right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ingrid, I'll be trying a souffle soon and I have a feeling it'll be a bigger hit with my family.

    Monique, I am so lucky to have that view. Except today, when it's so foggy I can't even see across the river!

    Linda, remind your husband it's time for another souffle.

    Julia, thanks so much for commenting. I checked out your blog and my screen got all steamed up!

    Hi Faith, glad you enjoyed the photos.

    Jayne, your prize went out yesterday. Enjoy!

    Lauren, thanks so much for reading. I love hearing from other Maine bloggers.

    Mrs. Woodbury, I 'll be very impressed if your boys will eat spinach souffle! I think it would be a very nutritious dinner with a salad (and a glass of wine).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photo and souffle'

    I want some!!!!!

    YUM!

    Lisa
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails