Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's My Blog-iversary! Again.

Two years ago this week I started this little blog.
And it's still little.

And I'm kind of ok with that. I truly appreciate every single one of my readers.

Sure there are days when I wish I was Pioneer Woman or Bakerella.
But then the pressure to keep it up might be too much.
 I wouldn't be able to get the morning newspaper in my bathrobe because I'd worry about the paparazzi. And I might be expected to homeschool my kids or maintain a spot on the New York Times Bestsellers list.

I'm keeping it casual and low-key 'cause that's the kind of blogger I am.
And generous, because again, that's the kind of girl I am.
So in celebration, there will be a giveaway. Or two.

I have a copy of the new Fresh From Maine cookbook, featuring Maine restaurants, chefs and recipes. It's signed by Stephanie Brown of Seagrass Bistro, a local favorite where the food is always fabulous and the chef is always friendly.
You can be entered to win the book, along with a lovely Mignardise apron, by leaving a comment at the end of any post this week. Any (nice) comment will do. Questions will work also. The contest ends Sunday October 17 at 7 pm EST.


If you are also a fan on Facebook, I'll put your name in twice.
Hint: Now would be a good time to become a fan. Click on the Facebook box to the right.
And perhaps, once you are a Facebook fan, you'll find another giveaway going on over there.

What else is going on at Mignardise this week?
A challenge!

I'll be making three things I've never made before, that I've always been just a little intimidated by.
Like bread.
A souffle.
And marshmallows. (This was suggested by my youngest daughter, the Bonus Baby.)
There. Now I'm committed. There's no backing down.

Could be an interesting week here at Mignardise. You won't want to miss it.
So if you're not yet a subscriber, maybe you should sign up now. Just put your email address in the box to the right where it says "subscribe". It's free! Thanks.

While I was getting my nerve up to make a simple loaf of bread, I baked up some more muffins. I'm always confident I can turn out a great muffin and this one is no exception. It makes good use of the big fat carrots and apples you can find at the farmers' markets this time of year. The vegetables can be grated in no time in a food processor, but also easily on the medium holes of a handheld grater.
Highly recommended for a cool fall morning.



Carrot Apple Muffins
adapted from Joy of Baking

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted

2 cups grated raw carrot

1 large apple, peeled and grated

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/4 cups sugar

3/4 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsps. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon

1/2 cup coconut, sweetened or unsweetened (optional)

3 large eggs

3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil

 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. and place rack in center of oven. Place paper liners in 18 muffin cups (or use nonstick spray for baking).

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the nuts and coconut (if using). Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, along with the grated carrots and apple., stirring until just moistened throughout. Evenly divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.

29 comments:

  1. They look good..I just made my daughter's apple muffins and I am hooked:) Muffins are so easy to eat aren't they? Your 3 challenges will be a breeze..you'll see..Jain got me making the marshmallows:)
    Happy Blog annniversary~

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one little fish in the pond to another, Happy Blogiversary, Karen! I love what you do here!

    P.S. Don't be intimidated by marshmallows. They're easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "little" blog, like you on Facebook, and enjoyed meeting you at BlogHer! Can't wait to see how the souffle goes. It's something I want to try myself but never worked up the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy anni to you! i must have found you fresh off the truck, i been watching you from the start~ your wit has always been your star attraction :-)

    so are you tooooooooo famous to ever come back to food for thought? i just finished my 106th book year to date, i am so sick of cooking them all, i look forward to next year when i will just pick and choose the ones that appeal to me... i hope you'll at least come around for a visit, i post books all week long now, i have toooo many stacked up to share in the wings these days... you still at the book store, i was hoping you would be sharing scads of new finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I would love to make some of the recipes from that cookbook- thanks for the giveaway, Karen! Happy 2nd anniversary, and I look forward to reading about more of your delicious treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your lovely little blog. A good bread to try is Jim Lahey's no knead bread ( I think Mark Bittman has a version too). It makes a wonderful crusty bread like you get at your artisan bakery and you can make it overnight. You will feel triumphant the next morning. Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little blog! As an even littler blogger, I admire your beautiful design, your delicious recipes and your unique voice, which comes through. All and all, a lovely little treat -- just like your name would imply!
    Happy Anniversary! May you have many more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, Your muffins look so yummy I may have to whip up a batch! Good luck with your celebratory endeavors. I know you will shine! Keep up the delicious work!

    XO Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "other" MarjorieOctober 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM

    Those muffins look great and i have all the ingredients on hand, once it cools off here in sunny CA, I'm going to bake some "fall" muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "other" MarjorieOctober 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM

    The muffins look great, once things cool off here in still summer weather CA...I'm going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess now would be a good time for me to send the Mignardise link to my book group. I told them I would and I haven't done it yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blog-i-versary! Love your blog... and it's not too big or too little: it's just right! You're going to love making bread. There's something magical about cooking with yeast. And you'll be perfecting marshmallows just in time for hot cocoa season. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a fellow blogger (as well as a fellow Karen, come to think of it!). You have my utmost respect because you have figured out how to get the Library Thing icon onto your blog page! I have not. I'm interested in your bread-making endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will always be my favorite blogger! Can't wait to try the muffins, I've got both carrots and apples to spare.
    Have a fun week :-).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, Karen! As always I love your wit, style and most if all the drool-inducing photograhy. I am curious... what is your own favorite recipe from you personal collection? And will you share it with us, your loyal fans?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the blogiversary! You'll do just fine with all of your three challenges (and if you're feeling particularly ambitious, dip one end of those marshmallows in chocolate. you'll thank yourself later).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen! I love your blog (and personally I think yours is the best of the foodie blogs that I read!) Love your recipes, your style, your unabashed appreciation for all things chocolate, and your gorgeous hair! Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Thanks for all the comments and well-wishes! And so fast! As I said, I truly appreciate each and every one.
    The bread is mixed up and waiting to be baked. So far so good. The yeast didn't explode or anything.

    Carol, I have two favorite recipes. The first is roasted cherry tomato sauce (first posted Oct. 2009) and the second is the chocolate cake from Rosie's (also posted Oct. 2009). I'll be making that cake again later this week for my husband's birthday. Thanks for asking!

    Casey, a chocolate dipped marshmallow is an excellent idea. I'm sure I'll thank you later too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a HUGE fan and read every entry with a smile.

    Thanks! I needed that!

    Christina :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your blog! Happy blogiversary! Keep the great posts coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy blogoversary to you;
    happy blogoversary tooo youuuu,
    happy blogoversary, dear Karen,
    happy blogoversary toooo youuuuu!
    (Hallmark is missing out on a giant market, no?)
    And those muffins look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gwynne, what a great compliment! Thanks!

    Love you Christina!

    Thanks Faith - you have a pretty awesome blog too.

    Carrie, thanks for the song!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A hearty congratulations on your two-year anniversary! Thank you for always keeping me in touch with Maine while I'm living away :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy 2 year blog! I love your wonderful recipes and great ideas. Can't wait for the marshmallow blog. Marshmallows in specialty shops are delicious but expensive. So, if you can do...I'll try too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh your blog has such a good cozy vibe to it! Thats why I love it--and the fact that its so quaint and you dont try too hard!

    Happy Anniversary, now go eat a muffin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy blogiversary Karen! And what a lovely way to celebrate by giving away some goodies! Thanks for stopping by my place to let me know about the celebration. I suspect this bread baking venure will be the start of a whole lot of bread baking in your house... it's just so easy to get hooked on the warm smell of the bread baking and the amazing flavor of a freshly made yeast loaf. Particularly perfect for fall days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Anniversary!
    Good luck with your challenges...you will be glad you made the bread and I bet you will become an expert in no time...Marshmallows are like magic...
    I am always amazed when I make them!So are souffles! Have fun...thats what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy blogiversary...again!

    Personally I have no desire to be anyone but me. I've "met" some lovely and genuine people (YOU!) who love food and take the time to pass along some amazing recipes. For me that's what blogging has been about; that and encouraging/supporting other bloggers.

    I hope this next year brings you all that you're hoping for Karen! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails