So much color and texture.
So much choice. So many possibilities.
Until there's not.
Suddenly it's September and now I visit the market with a bit of trepidation.
What if there aren't any more Sungolds?
Is this the last week for blackberries?
Will those baby zucchini still be here next time?
It was rough in early July when the local strawberries were done. Raspberries too - gone before I knew it.
It's a little like holding your child's hand. You never know when will be the last time.
So I'm in a bit of a panic. Especially about the blueberries. Those tiny Maine blueberries, that along with lobster and LL Bean are a symbol of all that's best and holy about our state.
I've been eating them every day on my cereal and in my yogurt. But for some reason I hadn't baked a single thing with them.
Until today. Which is pretty much the hottest day of the entire year.
But I couldn't wait any longer. Because you just never know.
This recipe is adapted from a wonderful blog I recently discovered called Baked in Maine. The cake has an extremely tender crumb, which is a nice contrast to the crunch of the streusel top. And it's not at all stingy with the blueberries. I couldn't resist eating a piece warm from the oven.
Even if it is 93 degrees outside.
I made two 9x9 cakes from this recipe. You could do that or make one 9x13. Baked in Maine also suggests a bundt pan. I'm thinking of making this cake with chopped apples when the blueberries are all gone.
Maine Blueberry Cake adapted from Baked in Maine
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsps. vanilla extract
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
(Can be found in the natural foods section of your grocer. Not regular whole wheat flour - it will be too heavy.)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups plain lowfat yogurt
2 cups fresh or frozen Maine blueberries (or some other kind if that's what you can get)
Streusel:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup whole oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsps. unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line your pan (or pans) with nonstick foil or spray with baking spray.
Make the streusel by mixing all ingredients together with a fork, until well blended.
In the bowl of a standing mixer (or with a hand mixer in a large bowl) cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Alternating these dry ingredients with the yogurt, mix into the batter. Beat one more minute.
Place berries in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. flour. Mix lightly so that all the berries are covered with flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of your cake. Fold berries gently into batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans. You can layer the streusel with the batter, or put all the streusel on top. Bake for about 40 minutes, depending on the size of your pan. Check for doneness with a toothpick - it should come out of the cake with just a few crumbs attached.

Karen..just wanted to tell you I have not missed one of your posts~♥
ReplyDeleteThis cake sounds great too..
Kind Regards~
Oh, yum. This looks fantastic. And I have a little one at home who absolutely loves blueberries. I might have to make this.
ReplyDeleteMonique, it's so lovely to hear from you! Thanks for sticking with me, mon amie.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, I hope you do make it! It was a hit with my kids. Thanks for commenting.
Holy moley, Karen! You can't possibly have eaten both those cakes so are you sharing? That piece in your photo looks perfect!
ReplyDelete~ingrid
The best cakes are ones made with lots of fruit, lemon and yoghurt! This looks so moist and delish! A+++
ReplyDeletethat looks delish!
ReplyDeleteIngrid, I've given away a lot of it, but we are now working on the second cake, I had hoped to freeze one, but I guess I'll have to make more. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteDragana, thanks for giving me such a good grade!
Jain, it is very delish.
You must be a Maine gal to have such appreciation for those little only in Maine blueberries. I make sure my freezer is stocked with enough to last til next season and you can bet some will find their way into your cake.
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Word.
ReplyDeleteAll of these summer palooza recipes look divine!
How lucky you are to have such bounty.
How lucky WE are that you share!