September is truly the golden month in Maine.
Still warm enough for boating or biking during the day.
Cool enough for a campfire or a cup of hot tea in the evening.
The farmers' markets are still in full swing.
Berries have given way to apples and Brussels sprouts (yay!) are the new zucchini.
And how about these sweet little peppers? Soooo cute.
This week I branched out a bit and bought some tomatillos.
"Why?" you might ask.
Because I've always wanted to and never have. And because I've had this recipe hanging around for awhile and it seemed like the right time to give it a try.
I hope you do too. It's tangy, spicy and smoky. Plus it's an excellent accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.
I wouldn't mind it with some good tortilla chips either.
Grilled Tomatillo Salsa inspired by Rachel Ray
1/2 lb. tomatillos, husked and halved crosswise
1 small red onion, thickly sliced
1 fresh jalapeno, halved and seeded
1/2 tomato, preferably yellow, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
In a medium bowl, toss the tomatillos, onion and jalapeno halves with the vegetable oil and garlic. Season with salt. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat grill to high.
Remove vegetables from oil and grill until lightly charred. The tomatillos will cook much more quickly than the onion and jalapeno. Remove from the grill.
Chop all the vegetables and mix in a bowl with tomato, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar and sugar.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
Labels:
Maine,
mango salsa,
tomatillos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Such a time of abundance..Enjoy every morsel!
ReplyDeletelooks so beautiful, love all the colors~
ReplyDeleteI've never cooked with tomatillos, but I'm inspired now! I would love to try this salsa paired with fish!
ReplyDeleteI've never bought tomatillos either, and it's high time I did. This salsa looks fabulous and will go beautifully with the enchiladas I'm making tonight.
ReplyDeleteThis salsa has beautiful flavors in it. That would go great with pita bread.
ReplyDeleteMonique and Jain, thanks so much for commenting. Always appreciated!
ReplyDeleteFaith and Susan, I hope you do try this. It barely counts as cooking, but the tomatillos are yummy.
Katerina, you're right, it would be good with some toasted pita! Thanks for reading.
September is my favorite month -- always beautiful, and you've captured it well. Tomatillos are a favorite and can show up in unexpected recipes, like a sweet puree for a spicy, dense chocolate cake. Amazing. Your salsa looks great. I'd be tempted to get out my spoon.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen, I was wondering what your absolute favorite restaurant is in Portland? I want to treat my guy to a night out on the town and totally spoil him! Let me know! Thanks, Lauren
ReplyDeleteKelly, I'm curious about a chocolate cake with tomatillo puree. I hope you'll share that one. Thanks for commenting!
ReplyDeleteLauren, that's a great but difficult question because there are SO many good restaurants in Portland. I think my favorite is probably Caiola's on Pine Street. Everything there is delicious and the atmosphere is cozy and casual. If you hurry, you might still be able to eat out back in their sweet little patio. Enjoy!
Hi Karen,
ReplyDeleteI am also a big fan of tomatillos and use them often in stews because the lemony flavor melds well with most meats, especially the more fatty types of meat. I think that is one reason the Mexicans often cook pork with verde sauce.
After much encouragement from my daughter and granddaughters, I began a blog just a couple of weeks ago, although I have yet to release it to search engines.
I posted my recipe for the verde sauce that I have been preparing for many years - learned from a Mexican neighbor.
It's extremely versatile and can be varied, according to what is available and the season. I grow my own tomatillos, which grow like weeds where I live, and as we have a long growing season, I use them often.
My blog page with the recipe, if you are interested, is: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/?page_id=73
Some people boil the tomatillos, some use them raw, but I have found that oven roasting brings out a more complex flavor, and of course roasted onions are sweeter and richer than raw.
I'm very impressed with your blog.
Andie