Some people I know have lemons growing right in their own backyards.
A lotta lemons.
So many lemons they don't even know what to do with them.
That just doesn't happen here in Maine. Ever.
We have lobsters everywhere you look, but no lemons.
We have to go to the local grocery and buy lemons.
So I did.
And look at the deliciousness I made with those lemons.
It's The Most Extraordinary French Lemon Cream Tart, from Dorie Greenspan's Baking
The title is hers, not mine, but I have to agree.
If you're not familiar with Dorie, you are missing out on a world of crazy-delicious sweets. She's a cookbook author, pastry maker, cookie baker, Francophile.
This tart is filled with the lemon cream she learned from one of the kings of French pastry, Pierre Herme.
She writes:
"When we were just beginning work on our first book (together), Pierre explained the cream to me. In his typical fashion, he spoke softly, explained thoroughly and added just the meekest editorial comment: "It is nice", he said, with a sly little gone-in-flash-smile. I immediately put two stars next to the recipe, a note to myself to try it right away."
I don't know about you, but the thought of a French pastry chef whispering "it is nice" softly into my ear, makes me feel all...tart-y, among other things.
You can find the recipe by clicking on this link.
Fair warning: There are a number of tools and small appliances involved.
On a skill scale of 1-10, it's probably about a 6.5. On an Is-It-Worth-Scale, I'd give it a 9, only because it isn't chocolate.
Bon appetit, mes amies!


Oooh! This is truly the most extraordinary lemon tart ever! I have made it several times and it is divine. I've even just made the cream before to fill cupcakes with. C'est magnifique!
ReplyDeleteSusan, I love the idea of using the cream as a cupcake filling. You're a genius! No wonder your blog is so successful...
ReplyDeleteWhat a mouth-watering photo of that divine lemon tart!
ReplyDeleteTell you what: I'll trade you some lemons for lobster!
I am more a lemon lover than a chocolate lover so this will be on my list:) Thank you!She sure is lucky w/ all her lemons isn't she? Our friend~:)
ReplyDeletethanks for linking me, i just need you to ship the tart to feel complete now! i will be making this soon, looks fantastic! as my lemons fall off the trees and roll down the hill...
ReplyDeletetoo many hobbies, so little time, between reading, gardening and baking i am failing in all!
Yes, if you can't have chocolate, then lemons are next on the list. I love lemon tarts, and I don't have Dorie's cookbook with this recipe, so thanks :-)
ReplyDeleteIt was fantastic Karen.... and the photo came out so great. How come my photos never look like that, even if the food looks good...I have to work on the photography skills.
ReplyDeleteThis one's a real beauty! Will give it a go. BTW, have you worked with Meyer Lemons? Heaven. Hard to get though...
ReplyDeleteI'd feel "all tart-y" too :) That is one luscious tart! And I so wish I was one of those people who had lemons growing in the backyard, too. :)
ReplyDeleteTarte au citron has got to be one of the top best goodies in the French pastry repertoire! Yours looks mighty good I might add!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tart! I printed this recipe some time ago but haven't tried it yet. I better go buy some lemons.
ReplyDeleteLiving here in Florida, we do have lemons growing in our backyard! Thank you for this wonderful idea of what to do with them...
ReplyDeleteSusan, the photography trick is this: there's a "Food" setting on my camera! Works every time.
ReplyDeleteSean, I'm sure this would be amazing with Meyer lemons. If I can find some!
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I love hearing from you!
Unlike chocolate, citrus is a big hit here, where lemons grow on trees in your neighbor's yard. :) This has been on my list to try since TWD made it a long while back.
ReplyDelete~ingrid