Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Nice Brisket - and a 100th Post Giveaway




My mother is not much of a cook.
I think she owns 2 cookbooks, one certainly published by the temple sisterhood, circa 1970. The other was probably a gift. I don't recall her ever using either.
Sorry kids, there is no undiscovered trove of Grandma's recipes or words of kitchen wisdom to pass down to the next generation.

She can make a very good noodle pudding and an excellent roasted chicken. But no gravy - that was (and still is) beyond her capabilities.


She had a small repertoire of "specialties" that included roast beef, steak, american chop suey and a "nice brisket". I'm not sure why she called it that. Would she ever serve a not-so-nice brisket?

The brisket was quite good, if you like brisket. It never really excited me. The potatoes were better.

But recently, I needed to make a sort of Hanukkah meal and the first thing I thought of was brisket. I prefer spaghetti and meatballs, but that just doesn't say "festival of lights" to me.

I did not turn to Mom for the recipe, because I doubt there is one.
I turned to these two lovely ladies, the Brass sisters,  Marilynn and Sheila.



Their cookbook, Heirloom Cooking, is like having your great-grandmother's recipe box close at hand. If your great-grandma was worldly and an excellent cook. The book is filled with recipes from various cultures and eras, like Crispy Norwegian Potatoes and Shrimp Creole. They were culled from handwritten, genuine passed-down-through-the-family recipes.
Just not my family.

Believe me, the Brass sisters know from a nice brisket.




The gravy is to die for, and I rarely say that about anything that isn't chocolate.
 And it cooks for a long, long time, making your house smell wonderful, especially on a snowy day. I served it with roast potatoes and our favorite Brussels sprouts.
The Brass sisters recommend making this a day ahead and reheating it.

Brisket
adapted from Heirloom Cooking with the Brass Sisters


4-5 lb. beef brisket

1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

2 tsps. paprika

2 tsps. coarse salt

1 tsp. coarsely ground pepper

2 Tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil

2 1/2 cups chopped onion

2 cups chopped carrots

2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth

1 1/2 cups red wine

3/4 cup apricot jam

1/4 cup ginger jam (in most grocery stores)

1/2 cup ketchup

3 Tbsps. tomato paste

1/2 tsp. hot chilies, finely chopped

1 tsp. prepared mustard (like Dijon)

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Line a large roasting pan with foil and coat with vegetable spray.

Rinse brisket under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place brisket in prepared pan, lean side up.


Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub half of mixture over the top of brisket. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and flip brisket so the fatty side is up. Spread remaining seasoning mixture on this side (use the back of a tablespoon). Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot, then cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.

Whisk beef stock, wine, apricot jam, ginger jam, ketchup, tomato paste, chilies and mustard in a large bowl until well blended.

Remove brisket from oven. Pour stock mixture into pan, lifting up the brisket to make sure liquid flows beneath it. Scatter about half the cooked onions and carrots on bottom of pan, and set brisket on top. Spread remaining vegetables and garlic on top of brisket.
Cover pan tightly with foil and reduce heat to 325. Return pan to oven, and bake until fork tender, about 4 hours.

Carefully remove pan from oven. Transfer brisket to platter and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Pour braising liquid into a large clean bowl with a strainer set over it, to catch the onions and carrots. Place onions and carrots into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse several times to puree. Add pureed vegetables back into braising liquid and whisk to blend thoroughly. Store cooled gravy in a covered container in the refrigerator.

When brisket has cooled, cover with foil and refrigerate.
When ready to serve (next day), heat oven to 350. Remove brisket from fridge 1/2 hour before reheating.
Pour about 1 cup of gravy over meat, cover, and reheat for about 40 minutes. Reheat gravy in saucepan over low heat.
Slice against the grain and serve with gravy.


My 100th post!
Wow.
In honor of this milestone, I'm giving away another custom-made Mignardise apron.



If you want it to be yours, just leave me a comment on this post. I'll have my trusty assistant draw a name at random.
True, it's a bribe to get more comments. Totally worth it.





24 comments:

  1. I am gonna comment here, not to win an apron, but to let others know how wonderful this giveaway is! I know, cause I won the last one! This apron is a real gem, and I wear it regularly. Washes up really well, and it is in the wash every couple of days, cause like I said, I USE IT ALL THE TIME!
    Now, on to the nice brisket. Don't think I've ever made one, but this looks pretty good! And both my mom and my grandma were cooks out of necessity. It was a necessity to put a meal on the table, but there was no creativity involved. So, I had to start from scratch. Mom always said I was born in the wrong century. She couldn't believe I wanted to do things like cook, sew, homeschool...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT the apron! No, seriously, it would look nice in my NJ kitchen but I was going to comment anyway. I am very excited to make the brisket. I have company coming for Shabbot next Saturday and your brisket, or the Brass Sisters' brisket will be our main dish. Can't wait to try it. Seems like your mom cooked like mine, but did you have ketchup on your spaghetti???

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom didn't even have 1 cookbook, but she did have a small repertoire. Basic Irish cooking...mmmm....bland! I did learn to make a good brisket from the in-laws, and it does fit the bill for certain times. I like the Brass Sister's recipe and I like the Brass sisters, down to their name.

    Congrats on the 100th post!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen: Is this the recipe for the main dish we had at you house the other night? I wanted to get the recipe from you but I was too shy to ask for salad and the brisket recipes! It was wonderful and now I am happy to have the recipe for my next party too.
    I love your passion and drive for this site/blog. You are so positive and inspiring. Thanks! Manijeh

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time to visit..Must be my lucky day to get to register for this wonderful apron..I know about your cookbook..A friend has one that was autographed..cookbooks are one of my favorites..Did yall do a give-away with the cookbbook..
    Good luck to some lucky someone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brisket recipe is to die for..Gosh I can smell it as I looked at it...Just a sample would be great..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,
    I'm in. That apron would look good on me! Great looking brisket, by the way.
    Steve
    http://www.myfavoriteflavours.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!

    A brisket tip for you: Not only make it a day in advance which really enhances the flavor 10-fold, but slice it up when you take it out of the fridge while still cold instead of slicing just before serving - you get perfect slices every time PLUS - you lay the slices out in a baking dish, cover with the gravy/veg stuff, and tben bake off in the oven.....Every perfect slice is infused with the juices and the results are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your 100th post, Karen. I have been enjoying your writing and recipes for some time now. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your 100th post!
    This looks like my Mom's brisket with a twist!
    Looks wonderful....thanks for the recipe!
    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Karen. I would love to win one of your aprons and might actually wear it in my kitchen making some of your recipes, which I love to receive! I don't think I will make an brisket for a while, but would love to see some really healthy bread recipes (particularly one that might work in my bread maker!) when you focus on your artisan breads.

    Glad you are all doing well and hope to see you some time this spring!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cyn, my mother is pretty amazed that my sister and I like to cook so much too. Sl glad you love your apron!

    No Alicia, surprisingly we never had ketchup on the spaghetti.

    Diane, my sister pointed out that brisket and Brussels sprouts are really the same thing as corned beef and cabbage.

    Manijeh, don't ever be embarrassed to ask for a recipe. I'm happy to share!

    Magnolia, thanks so much for commenting. My copy is actually signed too. I met them last year. So much fun!

    Thanks Steve! Appreciate your reading. If you win, you must submit a photo wearing it!

    Anna, you are absolutely right about slicing before preheating! The Brass Sisters recommend that too. I just left out that part because I didn't do it and it turned out fine. I think your way would be even better.

    Thanks for sticking with me Dragana!

    Hi Linda, I love when you comment.

    Kathy, stay tuned for Adventures in Breadmaking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yo, girlfriend... I sure would like one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the title "A Nice Brisket." Brisket chez Sullivan was always via corned beef, natch. I look forward to a another nice traditional Jewish brisket finely prepared by Liz Holland Weiss at Passover. Congrats on the 100th, Mazel Tov! PS can totally relate to Grandma recipes -- black pepper was the sole "spice" and then only rarely applied, very cautiously. Sean

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yo Carol, I love when you comment!

    Sean, I hope I get invited to Liz's for Passover some time. I bet she makes an awesome brisket. Liz?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found you looking around for ginger jam recipes. This Brisket recipe sounds good. I tried ginger jam for the first time a few days ago and I love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's so nice about being a first time visitor is to have 100 posts to review and savor! Winning the apron would be the icing on the cake. Keep up the good work. Great photography too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the first time I have read your blog which was recommended to me over the weekend by a cousin and fabulous cook. I was fascinated by the story of your mother's cooking and the irony of how I came to experiment with food. My mother was not a cook either and when she tried everything was bland. Her only spice was salt! I began ordering cookbooks in college and making meals for my friends. Hence it led to my career today of an event planner. I look forward to sharing and learning from your site! Will have to make and send something special to my cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, my dear -- you've certainly sold that brisket. You've got a girl who doesn't normally care about beef drooling.

    And I will confess, that's a mighty cute apron you've got there. Congrats on that 100th post -- and here's to 100 more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. CJD, so glad you stumbled upon Mignardise. I agree, ginger jam is a wonderful thing.

    Hi Janet and welcome! Have fun catching up.

    Maryellen, many thanks to your cousin, whoever she is, for passing along Mignardise. I'm so glad you let me know.

    Hey Lo, thanks for your comment. I know, who'd have thought brisket could sound so good?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Hundred! Wow...time flies, eh?

    Where was your recipe during the holidays...it sounds quite similar to a recipe I used once and have been searching for!


    Smoooch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never had or made a brisket nice or otherwise. Looks good and I'm always looking for something new to try. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oops, forgot to tell you Happy 100! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karen,
    The list of ingredients in this recipe make my mouth water -- I can tell it will be amazing and I am going to make this on the next cold day we have here in Florida.
    Thank you.
    P.S. Congratulations on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails