Like the nice brisket, a roast chicken is something that my mother could always make well. Nothing fancy. No particular recipe.
What it lacks in finesse it certainly makes up for in the moistness department. My kids call her version "juicy chicken" because, well...that's what it is
I think her secret ingredient is "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter".
Need I say more?
Yes, I must.
I must say that the roast chicken I made the other day could beat my mom's in any kind of smackdown.
It was a thing of beauty. Plump and flavorful, chicken perfection and yes, juicy.
But in my opinion, the best thing about this roast chicken wasn't even the chicken. It was the bed of vegetables in which that little bird lay.
Caramelized, soft and rich root vegetables. I had to fight my kids for the last of them. I really did.
I found this recipe at The Amateur Gourmet, another favorite food blog. Adam raved about it so eloquently that I couldn't go another day without trying it. It's from the very popular Ad Hoc at Home
cookbook, by Thomas Keller.
Chef Keller is extremely specific about the size of the vegetables to be used. I'll give his recommendations here, but please know that I didn't follow them exactly. The only rutabagas in my store were the size of volleyballs, so I left them out all together and used parsnips instead.
No harm done.
I urge you to use a really good chicken, not the kind with the built-in timer (but if that's all you have available, don't let it stop you.) I got a good fat one at Whole Foods that was delicious.
I'm not sure if the recipe is more important than the technique or the other way around. Most likely one would be nothing without the other. Either way, follow directions to the best of your ability/desire/level of patience.
Rest assured, you will have a very nice, very special roast chicken when you're done.
I'd arm wrestle anyone for the last of the leeks.
Before cooking...
and after.
adapted from Ad Hoc Home by Thomas Keller
One 4 - 4 1/2 lb. chicken
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
6 thyme sprigs
2 large leeks
3 tennis ball-sized rutabagas
2 tennis ball-sized turnips
4 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut in half
1 small yellow onion, cut into quarters
8 golf ball-sized red-skinned potatoes (I used Yukon Gold instead)
1/3 cup canola oil
4 Tbsps. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let stand for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before you plan to cook it, or until it comes to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
Remove the neck and innards if they are still in the cavity of the chicken. Generously season the cavity with salt and pepper, add three of the garlic cloves and five sprigs of thyme, rubbing it all onto the inside of the chicken, infusing it with the flavors.
Truss the chicken.
Cut off the dark green leaves from the top of the leeks and root end. Trim off and discard tough outer layer, or two. Slit the leeks lengthwise, almost in half and rinse well under warm water.
Cut off both ends of the rutabagas. Stand the rutabagas on end and cut away the skin, working from top to bottom and removing any tough outer layers. Cut into 3/4" wedge.
Do the same with the turnips.
Combine all the vegetables, remaining garlic cloves and thyme sprigs in a roasting pan. Toss with 1/4 cup oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables on bottom of pan, making a little nest in the center for the chicken. Place chicken there, rub remaining oil on it and season generously with salt and pepper.
Cut the butter into 4 or 5 pieces and place over the chicken breast.
Place chicken in oven and roast for 25 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 400 degrees and roast for an additional 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 on an instant read thermometer inserted into the thigh. If necessary, continue to roast chicken until done, checking every five minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let it rest 20 minutes.
Just before serving, set the pan of vegetables over medium heat and reheat vegetables, turning and glazing them with pan juices.
Cut chicken into pieces, arrange over vegetables and serve.
Side Dish
Check out the Saturday Blog Showcase at Thibeault's Table. You'll find loads of new food blogs (and recipes) to love.


I have not been to that blog in ages..I like it too..Thanks for the reminder! The chicken looks super! His recipe sounds like a sports person wrote it:)
ReplyDeleteHi there, thanks for posting the recipe. I always loved baked chicken, but now I love this.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous chicken recipe! I have done roast chicken w/vegs before, but never with turnips or rutabagas... brilliant. I salute Chef Keller.
ReplyDeleteThis is a must-try. As for fighting my kids for the veggies, I no longer have kids at home, but when I did, I used to make it clear that the parents were WAY higher on the food chain than the children. :-)
It looks delish.
Cass
Roast chicken is one of my favorite meals! Yours looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteA roast chicken dinner holds the #1 spot on my top ten list. Your dinner has my mouth watering and it is only 6:45 AM.
ReplyDeleteThanks for participating on our Saturday Blog Showcase.
Roast chicken is my DH's very most favorite Sunday dinner. Yours & Chef Keller's recipe have a few items that I will add next time.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the recipe & photos & thank you, too, for the link to his site. Its a new one for me! :D
You did a marvelous job interpreting the "Ball" sizes. This sounds like a good recipe. You've done it justice.
ReplyDeleteThe pics look good enough to eat!
Pam
There is nothing more comforting than the smell of a roasting chicken in the oven!! Great photos!
ReplyDelete:)
ButterYum
Well then...decided. That is Sunday Dinner!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
Psst...can you work on the rest of the week for me? ;)
Oui Monique, he must have a lot of experience with sports.
ReplyDeleteHi Sagacity, thanks for visiting!
Cass, I'm even thinking about doubling the amount of vegetables called for.
Thanks Lori! Great to hear from you.
Ann, thank you for hosting! See you again soon.
Retta, I do hope you'll give it a try. Thanks for commenting.
Thank you Pam! I try...
ButterYum, it did smell amazing. Thanks for reading!
What? no brussel sprouts? .....Looks delicious! when I make this tonight, I wondered, do I really need the oil since so much comes out of the bird?
ReplyDeleteI've tried this recipe as well from Ad Hoc at Home. Yours looks juicy and delicious!
ReplyDeleteHi Karen! I wish I would have thought ahead so I could make this for Sunday dinner.
ReplyDeleteI hope to try this soon, thank you so much for sharing the recipe!
Karen, this recipe inspired me to bake porkchops on root vegetables. I used parsnips, rutabega (cantalope sized), onion and red potatoes. Yum!
ReplyDeleteThere is not much better than roast chicken...except chocolate! I love...love roasted vegetables with it too. I have yet to pick up the Ad Hoc book, so thanks for the nudge.
ReplyDeleteOnce again Karen...thanks!
I've never roasted a chicken but have wanted to. I've been too chicken (ha-ha) to give it try. Those veggies do sound yummy!
ReplyDelete~ingrid
Steve makes a killer roast chicken on a vertical roaster, which turns out a crisp crisp skin all the way around, including the back (know how much skin is back there?) For some reason he's gotten into the habit of roasting the vegs in their own pan. Going to get him to give your version a go. Thanks.
ReplyDelete