Friday, January 1, 2010

Ten Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2010




10. Ice Skating
I used to love to ice skate when I was younger. Today I went to LL Bean, my local department store, and bought myself a new pair of skates. I am planning to use them this afternoon at the neighbor's pond. If all this doesn't scream "New Year's in New England",  I don't know what does.

9. Baking bread
I have always been afraid of making anything with yeast. I plan to conquer that fear this year using the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Supposedly it's fail-proof.
We'll see.

8. Attending the BlogHer Conference in August
I went to a mini-conference in Boston about a year and a half ago and it gave me the kick in the pants I needed to start Mignardise. This one will be in New York. I'm very excited to meet other food bloggers, and put faces to names. Who's in?

7.Working with Mainelovesfood.com
I've been writing a monthly column for this fun, new website. I like that they give me free rein. And that they link back to Mignardise. Thanks for the opportunity, Gail. Let's do some more.


6. Gaining readership and getting to know you
Hey, I'm talking to you! I love my readers more than words can say, but I really want more of them. Greedy, I know. Can I please get 200 subscribers by mid-year? Please?
Forward Mignardise to a friend or two.
Become a follower - I will not lead you astray!
Leave a comment. Please!  I live for comments. They make my day.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

5. Eating Out More
There are so many truly wonderful and exciting restaurants in Portland. I'd like to be able to say I know them well, but I don't. I don't get out much, due to my family's schedules  other commitments.
I hope to change that this year and try some new dining spots. As well as some that have been around for awhile, some how thriving without me.

4. Vacation at the Ranch
When the February chill gets us down, we like to vacation at Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, Arizona. It's a great time for the whole family. I particularly enjoy hiking, the lunch time dessert buffet and the prickly pear margaritas. And the sun feels so good.

3.  Celebrating a big birthday
Sure, if I keep telling myself I'm looking forward to turning 50, then maybe I will be.
 Or maybe not.
Either way, it's coming. I plan on getting together with college girlfriends whom I haven't seen in years. I also plan on having my husband do something wonderful for me (bike trip? cooking school? both? love you honey!).

2. Summer
Last summer was a washout here in Maine. I'm anticipating big time payback in 2010. Warm sunny days, cool starry nights and lots of entertaining on my back deck. And of course Clam Fest! Let me know if you'll be in the area. I'll treat you to a lobster roll.

1. More blogging!
I look forward to filling this space with worthwhile reading and recipes for you. I hope to post more often too. I'm looking forward to improving my photography.
Oh and did I mention I'm hoping to get more readers?

A very happy new year to all my friends, old and new. Thanks a million for your support, comments and compliments.
Wishing you much deliciousness in 2010.

24 comments:

  1. I love your list for 2010! As for the bread baking, I have been using the 5 min a day book for a year now... .love it! Just got their newest on healthy 5 min for Christmas, and started my 1st batch from it this morning. My favorite bread recipe, tho, is the New York Times no knead...just google it, there's hundreds of hits.
    As for getting more hits on your blog, I find the more I comment on other blogs, the more comments and followers I get. Tho a lot of followers is not my goal, per se, it IS fun to see them add up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyn, I love that you are often my first commenter! Thanks so much - and a very happy new year to you. I can almost smell that bread baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, aren't you tired?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! You'll love AB5 -- my husband is hooked on it. BlogHer is definitely on my list this year because I've never gone. Have fun with your skates :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2010 Karen! I love your list, and will take you up on that lobster roll offer next summer for sure. Remember the brisket conversation at the book group Yankee Swap?? Could you post the recipe, or send it via email???
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I have told you in emails, I love your postings and look forward to them. You have such fun with life and convey that important sense of wonder and fun in family life and working on something you love that is so important. Your blog is the most fun to anticipate and read of any I traffic. I wish you continued great success in 2010 as you grow the blog and continue your own personal growth. For your birthday I would hold out for something(s) really special. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list might inspire me to make my own list for 2010!

    As I served a chicken chili recipe, with brown rice and bread to seven, 18 year old girls last night, I kept thinking, "How would Karen blog something like this?" and it kind of went - "What do you feed a group of beautiful and fun loving young women on their way out for a New Year's Bash?" Happy to report, they were all satisfied with their meal and I felt better about saying good bye with a decent meal under their belts.

    Lara and friends are on their way home - Happy New Year and thanks for the great blog, I'll do my part in finding another reader or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judith, not too tired because I've been sleeping in almost every morning.

    Thanks Kelly! I hope we can meet up in NY this summer.

    Sarah, I'll get send you the brisket soon - promise!

    Dave, you're awesome. Thanks for posting in the Comments section so everyone can see the nice things you write to me.

    Nancy, you should totally have your own blog. Thanks so much for taking good care of the girls.

    You have all made my day in a very big way with your comments. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Karen. I hope that 2010 brings you everything on your list and more!

    I look forward to meeting you at BlogHer in August!

    P.S. The big Five-Oh is not so bad. Just stock up on scotch tape, because things start dropping fast! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh - I need to also mention that I am doing the Julia Child Boeuf Bourguignon recipe from "Mastering the Art . . ." for tonight. My family has been hinting at this ever since we all watched the movie. I must say her cooking instructions are a bit hard to follow in places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Karen!
    Start yourself a batch of bread today and bake some off Sunday night...it is no fail...promise...
    You will be a bread rock star...
    Have a happy and healthy one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know i was one of your first followers, back when there was nothing to follow because blogger ignored you for about 8 months! i removed myself from your blog list and put you in my personal favs, just to be sure to keep up, and now, well, everyone gets to enjoy you minute by minute when you post~

    i have always enjoyed you, you are fun, bright and witty, a perfect combo~ oh and you read!

    love your list, i did 20 things i want to accomplish this year, not due to nye, but from a book i read called next thing on my list. its about a girl that dies and someone else does her list for her. i liked the idea of being task oriented~ today scott did a list too, should be a fun year, if we stick to it, we will be prettier, well read and traveled!

    i have a new idea called food with thought, about combining books and pics, hope you will join me this year, i will do a post shortly about it~

    happy new year, your list sounds so fun, i guess you have already been twirling on the ice and had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanta prickly pear margarhita!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, congrats on your successes this year. How fun to have a new writing outlet. I will continue to follow your adventures in food. And Happy New year to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, love your top 10 things for 2010. You CAN DO THE BREAD girl! You can do anything! Those recipes are always on. I have it and love it! Can't wait to see all of your new blogs in 2010! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was going to tell you Jain did that too:) But she beat me to it~:)

    You will love AB5mins..it's one of my all time faves..

    I hope all your dreams come true~

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great list! I'm starting to think that I really ought to have put more thought into MY plans for the new year... but it really snuck up on me!!

    I'm totally with you on the Artisan bread experiment, though. And I don't even care that I'm totally behind the eight ball on that one. It's gonna be fun!

    Here's to a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, looking forward to meeting you too!
    Stay warm down there in Florida.

    Thanks Linda, I'm working up some courage to get started. Bought the pizza peel today.

    Jain, thanks! I love hearing from you. Thanks for sticking with me.

    Peggy, I'll go out for margaritas with you any time.

    Thanks Carol - I miss you!

    Dawn, thanks for being such a great fan. And baker.

    Merci, Monique!

    Lo, let me now how your bread turns out. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen,
    Looking good. I love the list, especially any part about being warm right about now. Missed seeing Betsy during the holidays. Hope to see her soon. I've added you to my blog list.
    Happy New Year
    Steve
    http://www.myfavoriteflavours.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year, Karen! I like your list...maybe I'll hop on your list and try and get to the BlogHer Conference, too.

    I've been enjoying homemade bead a little too much lately! Somehow that may not stop me, though.

    Hope you didn't get too snowed under with this last storm. I saw Portland, ME on the news and thought of you.

    Cheers....good luck on the list!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's funny cause my new year's plan is not to eat out too much! :) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sook, thanks for joining me at Mignardise!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to go to BlogHer just so I can get back to NYC. Gosh, but I love that city. Have a great 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! Some of those are on my list. I'm a "list" person but for some reason have declined to write down what I'd like to accomplish this year.

    Good luck getting it done!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails