One thing I never anticipated when I began blogging was the new blogosphere friends I would make. I don't know, I guess it just never occured to me. Really, all you have to do is a make a nice comment on someone's blog and the next thing you know, you're pals, in a sense. It's whole community and I must say, I'm really enjoying it. It's a lagniappe of blogging!
One of my first blog friends was Jain at onceinabluemoon. I don't even remember how we connected. Well, last week I got an email from Jain, asking if I would like to join a private, group cooking blog she does just for fun. It's called WFD & more (What's For Dinner). Only members can read and comment. It's like being asked to join the cool kids at the lunch table. Of course I said yes and now I have a whole new group of blog pals.
The group does a bi-monthly event called Darling Bakers, where everyone bakes, or makes, something from the chosen category. This week it was cupcakes. I was expected to whip up a batch, photograph them and show them on WFD by Saturday. Of course I rose to the occasion.
I took my inspiration from that which surrounds me completely - snow. Everywhere you look, it's white. Chocolate is normally my flavor of choice (that'll have to wait til mud season), but I wanted to keep the whole thing light and airy, like meringue and marshmallow. I don't have much experience with sugar art or cake decorating, but I do have a box of Snow Village pieces that has yet to be put away after Christmas. Instant decorations! Sure, they're not edible, but they look pretty.
True confessions: I used a cake mix for the cupcake itself (oh like you wouldn't). I just wanted to get them made quickly so I could get to the decorating part. I made the marshmallow icing from a recipe in the wonderful book by Judy Rosenberg, Rosie's All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed No-Holds-Barred Baking Book. If you don't have it, you should. She's the Rosie of Rosie's Bakery in Boston. Everything in the book (and the bakery) is crazy delicious and not too hard to make.
Here it is:
Marshmallow Frosting
2 large egg whites, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. sugar
3 Tbsps. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Put the egg whites, sugar and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler placed over rapidly boiling water. Beat with a hand-held mixer until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes.
2. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Add the vanilla and beat with an electric mixer (whisk attachment if possible) on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 30 seconds. Use immediately.
Hey kids, remove decorations before consuming.


Beautiful Karen! The frosting sounds so ooey, gooey GOOD! I'm happy to have the opportunity to get to know you through blogging as well.
ReplyDeletecute post, but i am cracking up about joining the cool kids for lunch. reality is i am the fat frumpy one licking the pudding off the plate! sorry ya joined?
ReplyDeleteits great to have a new darling, and blog buddies are lagniappe, if, if only i knew how to say it...
oh i look forward to mud season too~
ps send your top pic to fg/ts, they are just so cute!
ReplyDeleteCute post, Karen :) Your collection of minatures were a 'Darling' addition!
ReplyDeleteI totally know what you're talking about. I have a small baking group I occasionally bake with, too, and we recently drew names and sent cookies to one another. Your decorations are gorgeous. I'm usually so impatient, I have trouble with that part unless I have a mindset that I'm going to do a good job. Glad you're having fun with all of this!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Karen. LOLOLing at the cool kids table too. Maybe more like the little kids table at Christmas? :-) You did a great job whipping up your cupcakes on such short notice. Very creative!
ReplyDelete