Sunday, November 18, 2012

End of Season Farmers' Market


It was a perfect day for the last outdoor Farmers' Market of the season. Sparkling sunshine, not too cold, people shopping madly (but not yet stressed out) for Thanksgiving.

Overheard...

I want a kale and quinoa salad for dinner.

Did you see the delicata squash? We could stuff them.

We still have loads of roots left so we'll do the indoor market for a few weeks.

Yes, that's a watermelon radish.

See you in the spring!

I picked up two large stalks of Brussels sprouts for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Maple, a fan favorite at my Thanksgiving dinner.



cranberries for Cranberry Salsa...








and ornamental kale for decoration.


Have you ever seen/heard of a caraflex cabbage? They're pointed! I was told they're sometimes used for sauerkraut.


Or a deadon cabbage? So pretty.





The delicata squash are lovely...


but I like the ugly gourds, warts and all.


Love cauliflower - excellent cauliflower recipe coming soon!


Speaking of flowers...



How are your Thanksgiving plans coming?
I'll be sharing more of mine tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. Where is this cute market?! So many fantastic finds. I've never bought a Brussels sprout stalk before. I'm terribly jealous now and sort of want to string lights and cranberries on it instead of a tree ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, this is at the Deering Oaks Saturday market! It would make an adorable little Christmas tree.

      Delete
  2. you are making me want to shop... i want those jeweled carrots, so gorgeous...

    ps, remove your horrid verification, i have to try so many times its hard on old eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jain, I will try to get rid of the verification. Sorry - I honestly had no idea.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails