Sunday, March 20, 2011

Turkey Pot Pie - Easy, Easier and Easiest



Last Monday was Pi Day.
Pi as in 3.14 etc. etc. etc.

I am afraid of pi because I'm not mathy.
Unlike my husband and one of my children (you know who you are), who think it's fun to do math problems as a way to pass time. I'd rather read every book in the library (twice) than face an algebraic equation.

The worst grade I ever got in high school was a D in algebra. It was devastating and alarming to my parents. I'm not sure why it was so alarming - it's not like there hadn't been signs all along.
Tears over dividing fractions, a panic attack about the Pythagorean theorem, a complete meltdown trying to master that base ten thing that I knew was going to be completely pointless for getting along in life.
So a math tutor was called in. He was a creepy junior high teacher who probably did this on the side for extra cash. Now I was forced to do extra math. And I barely remember a thing about it except this: he later made obscene phone calls in the middle of the night to our home.

No wonder I'm a mathophobe.

Now pie...that's something I totally get.
So in order to make both the family math nerds and myself happy on Pi Day (which is on 3/14 - get it?) I made turkey pot pie.
I've avoided pot pies before because my memories of them are not particularly good. I recall gluey gravy, minimal vegetables and very little meat. (Swanson's, I'm talking to you.)
I was determined to make a pot pie that was better than that and would be a snap to put together.

Before the biscuit crust went on

Look at all that filling! The meat is from a rotisserie turkey breast I got at the grocery store. If your store doesn't have them, use a rotisserie-cooked chicken which I'm sure you can find. (Of course it will then be chicken pot pie.)
And vegetables! Lots of good ones. No sticky gravy either, just a quick sauce made from two ingredients. The biscuit topping comes together in about a minute. No rolling or cutting.

As Ina Garten would say "How easy is that?". Pretty easy.
But if you want to make it even easier, don't bother with the biscuit crust. Use a sheet of puff pastry over the filling. Prick it with a fork a couple of times and bake.
Easiest of all? Refrigerated biscuit dough.


You may think it's late in the season for something as homey and filling as this. Keep in mind a couple of things:
Cold rainy evenings.
Late lacrosse and baseball practices.
Hungry kids.
More cold rain.

Pot pie = perfect dinner. Even I can do that math.

Turkey Pot Pie
adapted from Gourmet and Epicurious


For filling:

4 cups shredded roasted turkey, breast meat or breast and dark meat

2 medium leeks, cut vertically down the center then sliced

2 large carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces

2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2" pieces

1/2 lb. mushrooms (preferably cremini), trimmed and quartered

1 10 oz. bag frozen baby peas, thawed

1 tsp. chopped thyme (fresh or dried - if using fresh, increase to 1 Tbsp.)

3 Tbsps. unsalted butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 cups evaporated 2% milk

1 1/2 cups lower sodium chicken or turkey stock


Preheat oven to 400F.
Cook leeks, carrots and celery in butter, with thyme and a sprinkling of salt and pepper, in a covered 12" wide shallow pan, over medium heat. Stir occasionally until vegetables are almost tender, 10-12 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook uncovered,  stirring occasionally until tender, 5-7 minutes.
Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and stock, scraping up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in shredded turkey, peas and salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to 3-4 quart baking pan.

For biscuit crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsps. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 cup coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

6 Tbsps. cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces

1 1/4 cups buttermilk, well-shaken

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper into a medium bowl. Add both kinds of cheese and toss to coat. Blend in butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir just until stiff dough forms. Drop dough onto filling in a 8 large mounds, leaving space between biscuits.

Bake until biscuit topping is puffed and golden brown, and filling is bubbling, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Never thought about puff pastry...... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How easy is that? Very easy. I think I'd use chicken, but only because I'm a bigger chicken person than I am a turkey person. Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely recipe. Your photos are also wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, Love the simple ingredients that we all have on hand, nice!
    Turkey pie is some serious comfort food.
    The kids will love it too.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is absolutely amazing. My family loved it and is requesting again. It really is so easy but the way it tastes would make you think it took you all day to prepare. What a perfect way to use up all my leftover turkey from Thanks Giving. Thank you Karen!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails