I have a Halloween hangover.
What do they put in candy corn anyways? Crack?
Once you get started with it, it's nearly impossible to stop.
But the good news is, I have something for you that's also addictive, but MUCH better for you.
In fact, it's downright healthful.
Cranberries have anti-cancer properties, are high in antioxidants and loaded with vitamin C.
That's all just fine, but the bottom line here is the deliciousness of this salsa.
It's got that sweet-tart thing going on, with a little spiciness and lots of crunch. Eaten with a candy corn chip, you get just the right hit of salt too.
It was a a snap to make. And I'll be whipping up more at Thanksgiving. It'll be just right for snacking on in the afternoon, before turkey.

Now put down the candy corn and go make...
Cranberry Salsa
12 oz bag of cranberries
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 onion
1 Granny Smith apple
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar, depending on your taste
1-2 Tbsps. chopped jalapeno pepper, again depending on how spicy you like it
Zest of one lime
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
Cut pepper and onion into large chunks. Place them in food processor along with the cranberries. Pulse several times until the mixture is chopped finely. It's ok if some larger pieces remain.
Remove from food processor and place in a medium bowl. Mix in sugar, jalapeno, lime zest, cilantro and cider. Combine well.
Serve with tortilla chips.
Thanks David, for this recipe. Love it. Don't know why I waited so long!

lool. I agree with the Halloween hangover! Your cranberry salsa looks perfect! I should try to make it soon.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds very interesting! I'll have to try. I like the tart, puckery little berries.
ReplyDeleteThat skeleton photo is killing me. Love it! And I stocked up on local cranberries the minute I saw them at the store - did you know they keep for almost a year frozen? - so I can play around with them all I want. YUM.
ReplyDeletesounds delish, i love this time of year, bring on the cranberries!
ReplyDeleteWow!!! This really looks delicious!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the idea of healthy cranberry salsa. I do a blueberry salsa.
I can't wait to try it!
Lisa
xo
Oh yeah, that skeleton photo cracks me up!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds amazing. I've done peach and mango salsa, even strawberry salsa, but it never occurred to me to make cranberry salsa!
ReplyDeleteI am so making this to bring to my thanksgiving dinner!!!! thanks for another great recipe.
ReplyDeleteYour California cousin, the other Marjorie Lewis
Sounds Like a definite must do before the overload of turkey, I am printing it right Now! Thanks Karen
ReplyDeleteThanks! I have a huge Sam's size bag of cranberries in the fridge.
ReplyDelete~ingrid
Wow, I never would have thought to use cranberries in salsa. This sounds so perfect for Thanksgiving. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html
ReplyDelete