Monday, February 1, 2010

Pop on Over for Breakfast



You may have heard this before: I am a big fan of having dessert after breakfast.
Not everyday, mind you. This would be foolish and self-defeating.

But on Sundays it's a nice treat and an excuse to bake something.
Breakfast dessert isn't like dinner dessert.
It shouldn't be gooey or too chocolate-y (a little is good) or too rich.
Something sweet and light is just right after your bacon and eggs.

This weekend I made sugar-crusted popovers, inspired by a post by David Lebovitz. I love his blog and his cookbooks. You probably would too.
I made his gelato last summer and I think it was the best thing I made all year!

The popovers are waaaay easier than the gelato. I had them in the oven in about 5 minutes.



Sugar-Crusted Popovers
adapted from David Lebovitz


For the popovers:

2 Tbsps. butter, melted

3 large eggs, room temperature

1 cup whole milk

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsps. sugar

1 cup flour

additional softened butter for greasing pan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease a nonstick popover pan or 9 wells of a muffin tin (with 1/2 cup indentations), with softened butter. Place 2 Tbsps. melted butter, eggs, milk, salt and sugar in a blender and blend for a few seconds. Add the flour and whiz for about 10 seconds more, just until smooth.

Divide the batter among the 9 greased molds, filling each 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the popovers are golden brown all over.

Remove from the oven. When popovers are cool enough to handle, remove from pan and set on a cooling rack. You may need a small knife to help get them out.

For the sugar coating:

Mix 2/3 cup sugar with 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Melt 1/4 cup butter.
Brush melted butter all over each popover, then dredge it in cinnamon sugar, coating them completely.
Let cool on a wire rack.


The Best Thing I Ate All Week






Mixed berries with grapefruit zabaglione. So simple. But the flavor of the zabaglione is a real wow! with the berries. A perfect dessert, after dinner or breakfast.
Find the recipe here.
What's the best thing you ate all week?

20 comments:

  1. I have a popover pan, but have never been a real fan. The right amount of sugar might change that opinion! These definitely look better than what I've been making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy and quick! Must try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fabulous! I was drooling over that recipe...guess I really have to try it now...the kids will be thrilled. Popovers are one of their favorites and with sugar?....over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a lovely idea..I have a great little popover pan..I never thought of this..Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sugar top on the Popover is inspired. Gotta try it. My popovers puff and brown beautifully, but often I they stick. I grease the cups well, have tried butter, Crisco, Pam -- always some sides need to be dug out with a knife. Does this ever happen to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...haven't had popovers in years, and never sprinkled with sugar. They remind me of beignets. The grapefruit zabaglione sounds lovely, too. Refreshing. Best thing all week? I just made a nice pot of tomato soup that turned out better than I thought it would!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The popover and the zabaglione look amazing... never thought of grapefruit in it before... must try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleanor sent me the link to your blog, and I'm glad she did! These look delicious. I saw the original post on David Liebovitz' blog, too, and was reminded of the French Crullers my grandmother used to get at the local bakery in Cincinnati when I was a girl. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, the right amount of sugar could certainly change someone's mind!

    Dragana, I hope you do try them soon.

    Linda, they were a big hit with my kids. My son said he took a leap of faith with the first bite because he was afraid "there might be fruit inside". But the sugary top was too hard to resist.

    Monique, thank you! I do love your comments.

    Sean, I have only made popovers this one time (so far) and they didn't stick. Maybe that's because I used a non-stick muffin pan and A LOT of butter to grease them. Hope yours turn out!

    Hi Kelly, the tomato soup sounds good. Can you share?

    LPR, yes! You must try the grapefruit zabaglion. I was blown away by how delicious it was and can't wait to make it again.

    Hi Janet, thanks for reading and commenting. These remind me of those French crullers too. I used to eat them when I was a kid. You've got a great blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cinnamon coating looks so delicious. When I used to make popovers, I would open them up and fill them with icecream or maple syrup and butter. I am guessing that a gluten-free popover would be like a hockey puck.....what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen I like how you think! :) The popovers look wonderful. I'm thinking they would be a great whenever snack for my guys! Thanks for sharing!

    Oh, and I love those little trifle bowls! I'll take a set of those filled with berries and zabaglione!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh i totally love desserts after breakfast.I am happy to see some one like me...my husband laughs at me all the time.The popovers look great:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, I'm a big fan of Yorkshire puddings and Popovers. The first time I ever had popovers for breakfast we were on vacation in New Hampshire. I've been a fan ever since. But I've never had the sweet version before. Can't wait to give these a try. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbie, not sure how these would be with a gluten-free flour. But the cinnamon sugar might make up for any any weird taste. I like the ice cream and maple syrup idea.

    Ingrid, they were pretty popular with my son. And those little bowls came from a Crate & Barrel outlet store.

    Nina, thanks for joining me at Mignardise. Don't let your husband eat any popovers no matter how much he begs.

    Thibeault, I hope you do give them a try. So easy, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, I actually gasped when I saw these sweet popovers!! Dessert after breakfast - now why didn't I think of that?? These look wonderful. I'll be trying them very soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I first saw "popovers", I thought "no way will my tennis elbow let me make these!" Then I see you've done them completely in the blender!! How wonderful!
    I bet the vanilla sugar would be an excellent choice for the coating.
    My DH will be sending you a virtual "thank you" note sometime this week. :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw these on David's blog and made a mental note to try them! Forgot all about them until I saw yours! Thanks for the reminder.
    The Grapefruit zabaglione seems ethereal! We will have that tonight!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that is my idea of a good breakfast. Also, I really like your blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUM!!! Oh, my husband would love these. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lori, dessert after breakfast is a must on Sundays!

    Retta, no mixing involved - gotta love that.

    Pam, that zabaglione is so amazing. Can't believe how it transforms berries.

    Dana, thanks for the compliment, and for stopping by.

    Country Cook, you can tell your husband they took all day to make. He'll never know the truth...
    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails