Saturday, February 12, 2011
I Owe You a Salad
After all those Nutella treats last week, I was left craving a salad.
A really good salad. The kind that makes you not care if there's anything else for dinner.
When I was growing up (and probably you too), salad consisted of a cellophane wrapped head of iceberg lettuce, a pinkish tomato or two from that plastic cello-pack and a cucumber. Dusty croutons from a box were a special treat. In those days, I didn't even care for salad dressing.
Thankfully, salads have evolved a lot since then. The choice of lettuces is wide and varied. It can be topped with anything from sunflower seeds to exotic mushrooms, goat cheese to artichoke hearts.
This one has roasted carrots and spicy jicama. It may sound like an odd combination, but it was really, really enjoyable. The soft, sweet carrots contrasted nicely with the cool bite of the jicama.
Don't fear the jicama. It's vegetable you may not be familiar with, but it's easy to prep and has an awesome crunch and refreshing taste.
Peel the rough skin off with a paring knife, including the fibrous flesh that's just below the skin. Slice jicama then cut into strips.
And the dressing is divine - a tangy yogurt base, boosted with garlic, shallot and basil. I know I will make this over and over to use on many other salads. It makes a great dip too.
Picante Jicama and Roasted Carrot Salad with Creamy Basil Dressing
adapted from Epicurious
8 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3" pieces
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchstick-sized pieces (about 1 1/3 cups)
freshly-squeezed juice of one lemon OR 2 limes
2 tsps. mild chile powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional, use it if you like your food spicy)
4 cups mixed baby greens
1 head Belgian endive
1 blood orange, peeled and thinly sliced (also optional)
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread carrots on baking sheet, then very lightly spray the carrots. Roast until soft and lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Let cool.
In a small bowl, toss jicama with lemon or lime juice. Sprinkle with chile powder and cayenne of using.
To serve, pile greens on large serving platter. Top with carrots and jicama. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Tuck endive leafs around the edges and garnish with orange slices.
Serve with dressing.
Creamy Basil Dressing
1/2 cup low fat or nonfat yogurt
2 Tbsps. white balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsps. fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp. chopped shallot
1 small clove garlic, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth.
Labels:
basil dressing,
roasted carrots,
salad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I found a bag of those dusty croutons when doing my semi-annual Cleaning of the Pantry last month. Clearly my husband snuck them in there - let's see if we can convert him to jicama instead.
ReplyDeleteWow! This looks fabulous! I will try it!
ReplyDeleteThe basil dressing looks especially delicious! I can't wait to try it out!
ReplyDeleteFabulous salad dressing. So easy and delicious. More salad recipes please.
ReplyDelete