Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baking Up a Storm: Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Another snow storm, another chance to flex my baking muscles.
Before a storm such as this, most people like to stock up on the essentials - milk, batteries, candles, canned goods, wine.
My pre-storm necessities include brown sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and lots of butter. Having the essentials on hand means I can have some flexibility.
If I'm feeling like brownies, no problem.
Cookies? I'm ready.
Cake? If that's what I want.

So what was I in the mood to bake today?
Crispy, crunchy, gooey or chewy?
Lately I've been enamored of the King Arthur Flour website and catalog. Especially since I started making bread. They have a great baking blog and loads of recipes. Perhaps I could find some inspiration there.


How's that for some inspiration?

I'm almost always a chewy cookie kind of girl. But for some reason (high tide? full moon?) I was ready and willing to try something different.
And you know what? I liked it.
These cookies remind me of the 3-pack of Peggy Lawton cookies I used to get for lunch in high school, but with more personality. Does anyone else remember those cookies? A pack of them and an apple was a balanced lunch for me in those days.

I'll never give up my first love for chewy chocolate chippers, but these crispy cookies are staying in my baking repertoire. They're quite a bit easier to make than the classic Toll House kind too. The brown sugar flavor is pronounced, and they taste as if they have way more butter than they actually do.
That's a good thing.
There's one funky ingredient, and I'm not sure why it's there.
Cider vinegar.
Whatever. It's King Arthur. They know their stuff and really, who am I to question it?

Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
from King Arthur Flour


1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

1/2 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 firmly packed brown sugar

2 tsps. vanilla extract

1/2 tsp. espresso powder (optional - I used it and it doesn't make the cookies taste like coffee, but gives them something subtle I liked)

3/4 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. cider vinegar

1 large egg

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 cup all-purpose flour

16 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly grease (or line with silicone baking mats) two baking sheets.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, oil, both sugars, vanilla, espresso powder (if using) and salt until smooth. Beat in the vinegar, egg, baking soda and  baking powder. Stir in both kinds of flour, then the chocolate chips. (At this point, I think some pecans would be awesome as well.)
The dough will appear oily and because of the quantity of chocolate chips, it won't be totally cohesive - that's ok.
Drop the dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the cookies are uniformly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minuted before transferring to a cooling rack.



Mmm, crunchy!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh these look good Karen~The photos are just great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you all of the way, although I did recharge the flashlights and took other precautions for loss of power. Maybe it is the large pine tree with looming branches resting on my electric lines that made me do it. I ended up losing internet, TV and phone. No big deal, I still had electric. Hope you fared well in Maine.

    I could have really used your chili and these cookies after shoveling...they are total comfort food.

    My son has been into bread baking and has visited the King Arthur site. How did we miss this recipe. Thanks for bringing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, do these look good. I'm a chewy girl myself, but used to like those Famous Amos crunchy ones. And cider vinegar, huh? Does anyone know why? I know how nicely sea salt works with chocolate, but haven't heard this one before. (Not that I know anything about baking...) BTW: mentioned you today, but not by name, when Ms. Lakshmi came up in conversation and I said I knew the loveliest person to whom she was rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also become a fan of the King Arthur's website. It's the only place I could find espresso powder and now I add it with abandon to all my chocolate recipes. It intensifies the flavor without a hint of coffee. These look delicious and I could, perhaps, feel a smidge better about eating them because of the whole wheat flour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cider vinegar...interesting. I hear that makes pie crust flaky too. The cookies look amazing. There is nothing as fine as the smell of baking chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy...these look like lovely little chubby CC cookies! During our storm I baked cinnamon rolls...I gotta try this cookie recipe, I love the chubby ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so delicious. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect day for cookies and milk!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are awaiting another winter storm where I am too...Looks like I need to make these delicious looking cookies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOh Karen~

    You are soooooo funny! I LOVE reading all of your posts and look forward to every single one of them! You need your own TV show, lol!

    Now, you've inspired me to dig up that ol' Neiman Marcus Millionaire cookie recipe. You know the one with the espresso powder and oat flour, right? Anyway, I'll post it on my site.....

    Come visit me!
    Lisa
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails