Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Taking the Yeast by the Horns




As I believe I've said before, I've always been intimidated by yeast.
See a recipe with yeast. Turn the page.
Not sure why. Maybe it's the fact that it's a living thing and could therefore be temperamental.
I don't need any attitude from my food.

Having completed my first foray into bread baking just this morning, I can now say  What was I waiting for? 

Some of you with more experience may think I cheated because I used the excellent book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. There's no kneading the bread with this method. You basically mix it up, let it sit, cut off a piece and bake it. 
It's actually easier than muffins.



Here's my little loaf resting for 40 minutes before baking.


And here it is fresh out of the oven.
Looks a little like a roasted chicken doesn't it?
I have to say that at this point, I was a little underwhelmed. 
It wasn't gorgeous like the loaves I buy at Rosemont.
My house didn't smell like a bakery.

Then I cut it open ...


and there it was...real bread. Crusty exterior, moist, chewy interior, flavorful.
On the first try.


And the best part?
There's more dough sitting in my fridge, waiting to be baked.

Don't forget to leave a comment in order to be entered for my blog-i-versary week giveaway: a signed copy of Fresh from Maine and a Mignardise apron.
Many thanks to those of you who have already left such nice comments!

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely loaf you've made! I have made all my breads now for about three years for our family of 5 (sometimes 6)!

    Alice (the lurker!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular! That is what bread SHOULD look like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your very first loaf of bread! I knew you could do it! It looks beautiful! With your next chunk of dough, you could turn it into pizza dough or focaccia, or add cinnamon and raisins.....endless possibilities!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using that method for over a year now and love it! I also have been making the New York Times no-knead recipe which I think is THE best! Been messing around with it a bit, and have come up with some incredible crusty, chewy rolls. I love yeast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!!!! You made me smile w/ the chicken..:) It looks delish! 1 down 2 to go~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using that recipe for about a year and a half now and love it. Yeast Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeast should never frighten you. It is alive and it we ill love you back if you make bread often. The no knead bread is great, but somehow i miss the kneading process. How ever you choose to make homemade bread, its always a lovely thing indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can practically smell it! I am a lover of fresh bread and a frequent visitor to Rosemont for that reason. Now that you've offered up an easy recipe, I will absolutely try it. Thanks Karen. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe this is your first loaf of bread! It looks amazing! I love baking ( although I am not the best baker) and your bread looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love kneading bread. It's a great way to deal with stress!! Cooking group Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good! I tried making bread a while back and it was nothing short of disgusting. I still fear yeast. Maybe one day I'll get up the courage to try again.

    But it's just so easy to go to Standard Bakery and pick up something I know will be delicious!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alice, so glad you are no longer a lurker, but a commenter!

    Debbie, I was thinking pizza dough too.

    Cyn, thanks for your comment. Thinking of you and your family.

    Monique, I'll tackle the souffle next. Updates to come!

    Karen, Elaine and momsgot3, thanks for checking in!

    Mrs. Woodbury, we love Rosemont too. But I think on a snowy day it would be better to stay home and make your bread.

    Hi Faith! I appreciate you stopping in again.

    Kathy, I hope you'll make some bread for our next get-together.

    Laura, Standard Bakery is awesome. The chocolate sables! But I hope you get up the courage to bake bread yourself soon. It was waaay easier than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOu go girl! I felt the same way about yeast until last year when I set about conquering my fears. I was lucky as I had a few bloggers cheering me on and now it's bring on the yeast. :) Your bread looks delish and I can't wait to see what new and yeast filled recipes you bake up next!

    Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen, Did I miss the recipe for the bread, or do I have to buy the book? It looks so yummy, I want to make a loaf myself! I suppose I don't need a bread maker, just my oven. Looking for your guidance.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails