Monday, October 18, 2010

The Marshmallows Need Work, but the Kunefe Was Delicious



Recently, I challenged myself make to three new recipes (new to me).
Bread - done, done, and done.
Made three loaves. I am the new superhero of the family.

Marshmallows were next. Not quite what we had hoped for.


They're a bit....odd. Bland, springy, flat. Maybe too much gelatin?

So I did what any sensible person would do.



 Covered them in chocolate.

I'll try making marshmallows again some time, with a different recipe.

Souffle is up next.



But meanwhile, my cooking group got together this weekend and the theme was eastern Mediterranean, meaning Turkish. Our hostess had spent some time there and is enamored of the food, the spices and unusual flavors. The recipes were all from Ana Sortun's book Spice.

The use of spices is central to the full, rich flavors of this type of cooking. Za'atar, sumac, cardamom and oregano are featured prominently. Eggplant, yogurt, cheeses and nuts are also essential.
I was assigned dessert.


So apparently I can't do something as simple as marshmallows, but I can make an esoteric eastern Mediterranean dessert that I don't know how to pronounce.
Can you say kunefe? (There's supposed to be an umlaut above the u).

When given the recipe, I admit I was less than thrilled. 
I'm much more of a chocolate cake kind of girl, but as I've said before, this cooking group gives me a  chance to spread my culinary wings.
I accepted the challenge and went in search of whole green cardamom pods, buffalo mozzarella and kadafi.
(By the way, when I googled kadafi, I'm sure you can guess what came up. Hint: terrorist.)

Throughout the entire cooking process, I remained skeptical of the outcome.
 The ingredients were strange. The dessert wasn't pretty. I wasn't excited to serve or eat it.
A dollop of mascarpone and a sprinkling of chopped pistachios made it presentable.


Well, knock me over with a peacock feather.
The surprisingly delicious kunefe was the highlight of the evening. 

If you're interested in making this unusual, but easy, dessert, you can click here. Or you can look for Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean. It's a beautiful book and a wonderful introduction into old world cuisine.

I'll be in the kitchen re-working those marshmallows.


9 comments:

  1. I've had kunefe before, and wanted to strip off all the syrup and just get to the cheese. I know it's supposed to be incredible, but I haven't had one yet that I loved. So maybe yours? And good thinking to cover the marshmallows in chocolate. Even if they were perfect, thats a gooood impulse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the marshmallows..one more to go right?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna at the blog "eat,live, run" has a recipe for marshmallows.

    http://eatliverun.com/breakfast-recipes/marshmallows/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try to make kunefe. It is going on my list - love Middle Eastern/Mediterranean food. Too bad about the marshmallows, but since I refuse to eat them anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about thee marshmallows. Hopefully next time will bbe a success :) Gladd the kunefe turned delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer about the 'mallows! I've made them twice...two different recipes. Homemade is better. (though I admit I'm not (or two out of three of my kids) crazy about eating marshmallows straight up.) Definitely try again.

    Good job with the weird-ish dessert. lol
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry about the marshmallows...
    here is a recipe that I have used often and works really well for me. They do not come out really high unless you use a smaller pan...
    Try again...you will have success...This is from Martha Stewart.
    http://linda-howtocookawolf.blogspot.com/search?q=marshmallows

    Good Luck with your souffle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a recipe for marshmallows (from an excellent local restaurant) I'd be happy to share with you. Email me if interested.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last several recipes I've tried I haven't been happy with. But I do love to try new things and your dessert sounds like it was the hit of the party.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails