Don't leave me alone in your kitchen if you've been baking some.
All willpower disappears, like steam rising from a cup of coffee left on the counter too long.
And speaking of coffee, is there anything better on a Sunday morning than a freshly baked muffin and a big mug of French roast?
Some might argue that a muffin is just a cupcake masquerading as breakfast.
So what if it is?
If you've been reading along with Mignardise for a while, you know I have nothing against desserts at breakfast.
This delightful muffin that I baked this afternoon could certainly pass for a cupcake if you put a little glaze on it. But the authors of Baked
That's ok with me. It's incredibly delicious either way, with a nice crusty top and tender middle.
I'll go with the muffin title, because it seems slightly more acceptable to say "I ate two muffins" than "I ate two cupcakes."
Baked
Remember the Baked Brownie?
Best. Brownie. Ever.
For a little interview with the owners/bakers, complete with adorable original artwork, click over to Cakespy.
Then go to your kitchen and bake up a batch of ...
Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from Baked by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito
1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. instant espresso powder
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup mini-chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray for baking.
In a medium bowl, mix together the bananas, sugars, melted butter, milk and egg.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the flours, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place muffin tin on a cooling rack and let cool for 15 minutes before removing muffins.
Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Call me when you're done. I'll be right over.


I've got no problems with dessert for breakfast. :) Your muffins look great....we love banana-y desserts, muffins, whatever.
ReplyDelete~ingrid
OOhh..that looks good..there's usually always a muffin in this house too:)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE muffins!!!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE all muffins and can't wait to try these!
Chocolate chips and espresso powder?
Sign me up!
Lisa
xo
Wow those look amazing!
ReplyDeleteWow-- I might have to bake some up right now! I agree that dessert at breakfast is just fine-even preferable- especially with a nice coffee. But don't muffins contribute to the middle age syndrome of "muffin top" around one's middle? Maybe we should simply enjoy/relish that too!
ReplyDeleteDebbie
Mrs. Woodbury, I tried very hard not to bring up the dreaded muffin top in this post. It goes without saying that if you eat too many muffins...well, you know what you get.
ReplyDeleteIngrid and Monique, thanks so much for reading! I love hearing from you.
Lisa, I "heathified" these with whole wheat flour - just like you!
Linda, they were amazing! Thanks for your comment.
I love muffins too, any really good baked goods actually. There are some chocolate chip oat bars calling my name at the moment. These look yum!
ReplyDeleteLaura
What a great blend of flavors, Karen. You took me by surprise here. I always like a little dessert with breakfast, and they are healthy, right...they have bananas!!
ReplyDeleteThanks :-)
These sound delightful. A great way to start the day...a muffin and a cup of tea or coffee.
ReplyDelete