Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer Produce-palooza: Roasted Red Pepper Dip







As Ferris Bueller says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

One minute you're enjoying fresh strawberry country cake and setting off fireworks in the backyard and the next minute you're in an over air-conditioned Staples stocking up on 6 different colors of "sturdy homework folders".


And the first  high school football game of the season is tonight.
How the hell did that happen?

While I wish that the Summer Produce-palooza could go on for  many more weeks, I am sad to say it will be coming to a close soon. One of the farmers told me blueberries and blackberries only have another week or two to go. Kinda makes me want to cry...

Today, to cheer us both up,  I offer you a fan favorite...



Roasted Red Pepper Dip

2 large red bell peppers, roasted, seeded and peeled
(For instructions on how to roast a pepper, click here. You could also use roasted peppers from a jar. But the ones you roast yourself have a lot more flavor. Just saying.)

4 oz. sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and patted dry

2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

2 tsps. ground cumin

1-2 pickled jalapenos, roughly chopped (or more to taste)

1/4 cup fresh cilantro

1 bunch scallions, white part only, roughly chopped

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

salt and pepper to taste

When peppers  have cooled to room temperature, press them firmly between paper towels to remove excess liquid. Otherwise the dip will be too runny.

Place peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, cumin, jalapeno, cilantro, scallions and cream cheese in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Turn out into a serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables.




3 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I have made this several times since we had it at our June cooking group and everyone LOVES it. Try it fans, you'll like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen, this post cracked me up. It's back to school around here too (for my husband though, no kids), and now you've got me thinking Bueller.... Bueller. I may have to add the movie to my Netflix and make this dip when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I can't remember the name of the cookbook this came from. I'd like to give credit.

    Jen, Ferris Bueller is everyone's favorite here!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails