Ready to get back into the game?
Here we go...
4 pm Having been subjected to punishingly cold air conditioning all day, I decide it's time to get some real air. Like outside. I have an agenda. Find Momofuku Milk Bar, home of the justifiably famous Compost Cookie and Crack Pie.
4:10 pm Hit in the face with August-in-New-York heat as I leave the Hilton. Google Maps tells me that Momofuku is but one block away on W. 56th Street. I walk the block between 6th Avenue and 5th. No sign of Momofuku. But what do I spy with my little eye? Henri Bendel!
4:30 pm Score a pink silk scarf on sale - 60% off. Jealous? You should be. I leave with my little iconic brown and white stripe bag a happy girl.
4:35 pm Head back towards the Hilton, on the other side of 56th street, determined to find my Compost Cookie. Look verrrrrry carefully at each and every doorway, and finally there it is...in a space half the size of my hotel room. Which is pretty darn small to begin with. Get my cookie and consider a helping of salty pistachio caramel soft serve.
4:36 pm Recall all the Butterfingers I've already consumed today and leave with just the $3 cookie. Vow to come back tomorrow for more Momofuku (so much fun to say!) treats.
5 pm Back in my room for a quick shower and dress for the BlogHer Voices of the Year Community Keynote Address, Reception, Auction and Gala. To which I am already late.
5:30 pm Arrive in packed ballroom and grab a seat in the rear. I am just in time for a photography presentation by Stephanie of Pictures of Hope, documenting a trip to Tanzania and Rwanda. It is truly moving and I promise I am not being sarcastic (at this moment).
5:40 pm Blogger Marinka reads a post called "Fantastic News!" that has every woman in the place nodding in recognition and empathy, plus laughing hysterically. I am now sorry that I missed the first half of the event. But I had a date with Monsieur Bendel and a cookie that I could not pass up.
5:55 pm I find Marcia and friend Carrie of Kablooey Quest. We go to view the artwork on display while ballroom is being transformed for the Gala. I also text MaryMac of the Pajamas & Coffee, one of my favorite non-food blogs. I am walking a thin line between stalking her and just trying to say hello because I really admire her and think her blog is hilarious.
6:10 pm Waiting to hear back from MaryMac, I come upon a young dark-haired woman pecking at an old-fashioned typewriter.
She is Alana of Momku. She offers to write a haiku for me on the spot. Can you guess what subject I requested?
Couldn't have said it better myself.
6:15 pm Nearby is another woman at a similar typewriter. The line to meet and greet her is long. Is she someone I should know? Yes. She is The Bloggess. Makes me wish I had a title. (Perhaps Madame Mignardise? Whadda ya think?) I get in line behind three women all dressed in black and white. They are young and cute, but they are nice to me anyway and tell me that since I am wearing a black and white dress I can be part of their Glam Squad. I suddenly feel popular and only a little like I could be their mom. Check out Alison at Cabinessa (see? she has a title too).
6:20 pm Still in line , I get a text from MaryMac. She's right behind me! Reading her blog makes me feel like we are already old friends. She slips me a Pajamas & Coffee travel mug filled with Silly Bandz. Thanks Mary. And please let me know when you are ready to move to Maine so we can be neighbors and drink coffee (and wine) in our pj's.
6:25 pm The Bloggess (aka Jenny Lawson) is a hoot on her pink typewriter, typing out spontaneous and cryptic messages. Her blog is a must-read.
7 pm Find Marcia and Carrie. We go in search of food, certain that BlogHer will provide us with a lovely dinner. All we find are coconut chicken fingers, lukewarm eggrolls and music so loud it makes my head hurt. Decide we must leave the building to get a real meal, as well as some peace.
7:30 pm Marcia knows all the hot spots in the neighborhood. We agree on Japanese noodles and head to Sapporo on 49th Street.
7:48 pm
8:45 pm Marcia disappears into the NY subway abyss to head home. Carrie and I stroll back to the hotel. I notice Magnolia Bakery on the corner and make a mental note to come back tomorrow and check it out. I should be out of Butterfingers by then and looking for a cupcake.
9 pm The "Gala" is going strong and I'm sure there are loads of private parties in full swing. Since I have not been invited to a single one, I retire for the evening. Ecstatic to have a king-sized bed all to myself, a tv and the last few chapters of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
11:55 pm Dream I am a contestant on Iron Chef. Padma is the judge and the secret ingredient is Butterfingers.





:) Nice...not a bad evening. Who is Blogess?
ReplyDelete~ingrid
Karen- you're fantastic. I was so happy to meet you in the Bloggess line where, appropriately, I was stalking her and hoping you were stalking me! haha. I LOVE the goodies you brought me and I'm glad you like the mug! Am DYING to move to Maine if we can ever sell this 1881 Maryland monstrosity! Thanks so much for finding me. You are lovely.
ReplyDelete;)
Ingrid, the Bloggess is a Jenny Lawson. Her blog is laugh-out-loud funny. Click on her name in the post for a link.
ReplyDeleteHi Mary, thanks for commenting! A pleasure to see you here. Get yourself a real estate agent.
Karen, let me know the next time you're in New York - we'll save the lobster rolls for Maine (where they're reasonably priced) and eat ramen and cookies all over the city. So great to meet you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post!
ReplyDeleteNow I'm all blushy. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWow, what an adventure! And you met two of my faves, MaryMac and the Bloggess Jenny. I hate you. Oh no, I mean congrats, I was in the backyard scooping dog poop and in the basement sulking...
ReplyDelete