Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Solid Summer-y Meal

It doesn't quite feel like summer here yet.
Close, but not quite.

As I look out over the river, there's some boat traffic, but the cloudy skies have kept the usual parade of Sunday pleasure craft at the dock.
The kids have another couple of days of school.
I've yet to see a local strawberry.
I have not consumed even one lobster roll.
And thankfully, I have not had to put on a bathing suit - yet.

But I did make one of my stand-by summer meals last night, when I hosted a dinner for  a Yarmouth Arts fundraiser. The evening started with drinks and appetizers at a local restaurant. The crowd then broke up into small groups, and left to have dinner in one of several  homes.

Dinner at our house included three other couples, two of whom I'd never met before. No matter.
Food brings people together.
I was happy to have them join me for Greek salad, yogurt-marinated grilled chicken (with a dipping sauce that I forgot to serve - whoops) and quinoa with corn and mint. All three of these dishes are delicious, solid stand-bys for summer entertaining.

Which one should I start with?
Oh, you want the chicken?
Ok then...



Yogurt and Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken
adapted from Cook's Country


1 cup plain yogurt (whole milk, low fat or nonfat)

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 Tbsp. dried thyme

1 Tbsp. dried oregano

2 tsps. salt

2 tsps. freshly ground black pepper

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3 lbs. total)

1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Whisk together yogurt, 1/2 cup olive oil, half of the minced garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Place chicken in marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3-6 hours (no more than 6 hours or the chicken will get mushy. Ick.).

Whisk remaining olive oil and garlic, lemon juice and basil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate while chicken is marinating.

Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Grill over high heat until chicken is charred around the edges and fully cooked. Transfer to platter and brush with lemon dressing.

And here's the Yogurt Dipping Sauce, which I made but sadly forgot to even take out of the fridge.
My bad.
The chicken was very, very good without it, but it sure would have added a nice touch.




1 cup plain yogurt (whole milk is best for this)

3 Tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil

2 Tbsps. fresh lemon juice

1 garlic clove, minced

1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped

1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

1 small cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and diced

Whisk together all ingredients except cucumber until well blended. Stir in cucumber, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Try not to forget it.

Next up - quinoa.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Karen...you lucky, lucky lady! It's hotter than Hades here. Heat index well into the 100's!

    Oh, and I'll be trying your yogurt marinade.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chicken dish really appeals to me, Karen...it sounds like it has lots of flavor & is moist & tender. DH's main complaint is that my chicken is always too dry for him. I will try yours soon as well as the Trenne Pasta with Peas and Proscuitto.

    I'm loving your photos of Italy! Brings back fond memories. The shot of you & your hubby on the bridge is beautiful, you tiny little thing, you! ;-) You guys look so perfect together! Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails