Brussels sprouts! This may come as a surprise to some, but really not a shocker for my family.
When you do brussels sprouts right, and by right I mean with bacon, there's not much that's better.
Last year I cooked them with proscuitto. This year, they were roasted with bacon and maple syrup.
You can find the recipe here.
Most Likely to Succeed
I tried a new green bean semi-casserole dish, supposed to be an update on the classic. I got the recipe here.
Love the concept - fresh green beans and crimini mushrooms, caramelized onions, goat cheese and more. But it just didn't come together quite as I hoped.
So I think with a few tweaks, it could be a big success next year.
Most Improved
I have no tried and true method for turkey. I pick a recipe from the big stack of Thanksgiving magazines. The criteria for my choice is 1. uncomplicated 2. tasty and 3. uncomplicated.
This year, I chose a recipe/method from Fine Cooking, that starts with cooking the bird breast side down for the first hour.
It was a huge improvement over previous years. Definitely easy, moist and very flavorful (for a turkey). And it cooked more quickly than I thought. Would do this again next year for sure.
Most Versatile
Mashed potatoes. Like a 16 year old boy, mashed potatoes can take on many personalities. That's why we assign them to my son. He whips them up in a classic style, with lots of butter, cream, salt and pepper. Thanks Jack!
Most Old School Spirit
My mother's Ritz cracker stuffing. I could make the most gourmet, fabulous stuffing ever and it would still not taste as good as this at Thanksgiving dinner.
Sounds kind of ridiculous, I know, but buttery Ritz crackers really make an awesome stuffing. Plus it's the stuffing I grew up with, so extra points for that.
Most Thanksgiving Spirit
Mmmmmaple-y, buttery, bright orange-y squash. It would scream "Thanksgiving" but the flavor is too subtle and it's certainly too classic to shout out loud.
Yum - and many thanks to my brother-in-law for bringing it.

Cutest Couple
The pumpkin and apple pies made by my husband and daughter.
Most Glamorous
The pear pie with streusel topping made by me. I added some crystallized ginger to the streusel mix, giving it a sophisticated boost. I also changed the dried cherries to dried cranberries. A big hit, and a keeper.
The recipe is also from Fine Cooking.
And one more side dish...
Look for me on mainelovesfood.com!
I's a cool new website that has LOADS of info about all the amazing food and food-related events in the great state of Maine.
My feature is called Maine Loves Food Loves...
I get to research and write about new products and places. Lucky me!


Karen, We also love Brussels Sprouts. I caramelize a shallot and then roast the sprouts with, Or, I mix them with boiled peeled Chestnuts. I cook with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast whole or halved at 350 for 20 to 30.
ReplyDeleteWhat a change from the disdain with which they were treated in my youth.
I LOVE roasted brussel sprouts, but just made them last week, so I roasted cubes of squash with onions and fresh sage. So good!
ReplyDeleteAnd all day I had on the sweet apron I won!
Cindy
congrats to your maine loves food!
ReplyDeleteloved your t~day review. i guess i am ready to give brussel sprouts a try, i have never eaten them since i was a kid, the most bitter taste still lingers in mouth from 50 years ago, but the idea of maple syrup has stirred a wee bit of interest!
did you finish the book yet? hard to put down as the count down is on...
did you read crazy for the storm? really liked that too, watch the video on amazon by the author, that story keeps haunting me...
Love the pic of the table and pies..
ReplyDeleteGood glossary too:)
Looks like you had fun..I'll check the new place out too:)
I love the green plates!
ReplyDeleteOur family loves brussel sprouts too especially roasted with shallots and secret ingredient, CLOVES.
ReplyDeleteBeen doing the turkey upside down for the first hour or so for at least 20 years. Have never found a better way to capture the flavor and moisture in the white meat. Sometimes the turkey looks a little flat on top, but the taste...
Looks like a happy day. Am looking forward to following you on MaineLovesFood.
Eleanor
I must admit that I made roasted brussel sprouts too. But my roasting pan was over flowing with other vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, etc. So rather than roasting they steamed. The result was okay but not great. However, I panicked when I realized that my fancy Brookstone thermometer was giving aberrant temperature readings of my roating turkey! Then I remembered YOU! only 50 yards away! Thanks so much for the thermometer! You saved our Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteWonderful reviews! I'm with Jain about the brussels sprouts, but your recipe sounds like it could make me turn the corner and give them a try again.
ReplyDeleteYour "glamorous" pie sounds divine. And your mom's stuffing is one I've never heard about. Years and years ago, my sister made a mock apple pie, using Ritz crackers. I was charmed by it.
Happy holidays to you and your family and congrats on the spot on the mainelovesfood website!