I don't think so.
It's the dining room that's center stage on Turkey Day.
Sure, the kitchen is where all the actual work takes place, but the dining room and table is where the audience gathers and the presentation is made.
It's easy to make your table shine in the spotlight.
First of all, the internet is positively loaded with table setting ideas.
Check out Hostess with the Mostess (warning! you could get lost for hours in this site), Country Living and of course Martha Stewart.
If you need even more inspiration, I highly recommend this blog.
Or just take a look at what I did last year.
But let me make this easy for you. Everything you need to make your table look outstanding is already in your home, or at least at your local supermarket.
A neutral colored tablecloth is a good place to start. White, beige, brown, even black makes a good backdrop. If you have a table square or runner to drape over the tablecloth, use it. No table square? I bet you have a large scarf, shawl, or simply a piece of fabric to layer on.
Look around. Do you have a pitcher? A glass vase? A bowl?
Of course you do.
Fill those vessels with nuts in the shells, fresh cranberries, apples, acorns, mini-gourds.
Nestle a candle down in there too.
Now e x p a n d outwards. Surround the centerpiece with other fruit and vegetables. Colorful squash, small pumpkins, Bosc pears, pomegranates, lady apples, clementines.
No need really to think about "matching" colors. It's nature. Everything goes together.
Next layer. Not essential, but does sort of bring it all together. Wind a strand of autumn leaves (mine are fake), a piece of grapevine or some small branches around your arrangement. This will give it more dimension and visual interest.
Add a few more small votives, tucked into any open spaces. Please be careful lighting them near your greenery!
How about place cards?
How about place cards made from mini-pumpkins? Or tiny pears?
No problem!
And remember, if you do the place cards you won't get stuck sitting next to Uncle Howard who makes weird noises when he eats.
There. Looks good, doesn't it?
And I bet it was kind of fun.
Now if your food doesn't all come out at the same time, no one will mind. They'll be busy admiring your table.
Or just take a look at what I did last year.
But let me make this easy for you. Everything you need to make your table look outstanding is already in your home, or at least at your local supermarket.
A neutral colored tablecloth is a good place to start. White, beige, brown, even black makes a good backdrop. If you have a table square or runner to drape over the tablecloth, use it. No table square? I bet you have a large scarf, shawl, or simply a piece of fabric to layer on.
Look around. Do you have a pitcher? A glass vase? A bowl?
Of course you do.
Fill those vessels with nuts in the shells, fresh cranberries, apples, acorns, mini-gourds.
Nestle a candle down in there too.
Now e x p a n d outwards. Surround the centerpiece with other fruit and vegetables. Colorful squash, small pumpkins, Bosc pears, pomegranates, lady apples, clementines.
No need really to think about "matching" colors. It's nature. Everything goes together.
Anything you have that's remotely decorative, or sentimental, can be added. Ceramic or pottery figures, glass balls, artificial berries, you name it. I sometimes put in stuff my kids made in pottery class.
Next layer. Not essential, but does sort of bring it all together. Wind a strand of autumn leaves (mine are fake), a piece of grapevine or some small branches around your arrangement. This will give it more dimension and visual interest.
Add a few more small votives, tucked into any open spaces. Please be careful lighting them near your greenery!
How about place cards?
How about place cards made from mini-pumpkins? Or tiny pears?
No problem!
And remember, if you do the place cards you won't get stuck sitting next to Uncle Howard who makes weird noises when he eats.
There. Looks good, doesn't it?
And I bet it was kind of fun.
Now if your food doesn't all come out at the same time, no one will mind. They'll be busy admiring your table.


It looks beautiful! I agree it is a holiday that nature decorates best:)
ReplyDeleteMother Nature and Karen:)
Not rocket science...but lots of fun! I love using fresh things from the garden or produce section! I think I may use pears as place card! Great post!
ReplyDeletei love the abundance of nature, always my first choice, it looks wonderful.
ReplyDeletehappy thanksgiving~
Gorgeous! Love the name on the pear idea!
ReplyDeleteWhy is the knife on the left? Is that French?
ReplyDeleteGreat centerpiece! I love setting the table, but don't spend anywhere near as much time on it as I used to. I ended up completely distracted at one of your links btw...
ReplyDeleteI love setting a Thanksgiving table, but for a lot of years now we have had Thanksgiving at a good friend's house. And for that I am thankful.
ReplyDeleteHave a great Thanksgiving!
Diane
Merci Monique!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you to you too Susan. Have a delicious holiday!
Jain, you are the queen of natural centerpieces!
Linda, many thanks for all the inspiration I get from your blog.
Judith, it may not be the correct etiquette, but I have taken some artistic license.
Thanks Kelly...yes, blogs can be quite distracting! Have a great holiday.
Diane, I too would be thankful if JUST ONCE I could go somewhere else! Have fun!