I had a lovely blog post all set to go, but there's no picture.
Why? Why is there no photo, you ask?
Because I foolishly tucked my camera into the pocket of my jacket when I went kayaking this weekend. I'm not sure why I thought this would be a good idea. I did think it would be fun to have pictures of my friends paddling along. But cameras don't like water.
No, they don't.
I didn't capsize, but I got much wetter than I anticipated. The river was moving fast due to all the rain we've had, and even as I paddled furiously, it came up over the sides. We might have been better off with surfboards.
Within just a few minutes I was sitting hip deep in water, yet somehow managing to stay afloat. And the camera, while zipped securely in my pocket, sucked up water like a sponge.
So sad for my little camera. Now I have to find a new one. One that will hopefully take excellent pictures of all kinds of food. Do you have any suggestions? I could really use some words of advice from those of you who take such beautiful food shots - what do you use?
I did promise to post the Nutella Coffeecake recipe from last week. So here it is, with a picture I had already taken. It's a nice sweet ending to a brunch. And it's great to do ahead of time - keep it in the freezer until ready to serve.
Nutella Coffeecake, adapted from Cooking Light
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (16 oz.) container sour cream (regular or lowfat)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
1/2 cup (approx.) Nutella
Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 12 cup Bundt pan with cooking spray for baking (such as Baker's Joy).
Place sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat until well blended.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk lightly to blend. Add flour mixture to sour cream mixture, stirring until just combined.
Spoon half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with hazelnuts. Drop spoonfuls of Nutella over nuts,and spread to almost cover batter. Spoon remaining cake batter over Nutella. Swirl gently with a knife.
Bake for 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan, on a wire rack, at least 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack. When ready to serve, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
Do you love Nutella?
Check here for more.


Oh Karen, what a sad story!! I love my digital SLR. I researched a lot and went with the Sony Alpha 300 that was packaged with 2 lenses: 18-70mm F/3.5-5.6 and 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3. I then bought a Sigma macro 50mm F/2.8 lens that I use exclusively for food. I hardly ever use the other lenses. I chose the Sony over a Canon or Nikon for 2 very important reasons (for me). The Sony was the only camera in my price range that could be used in the automatic mode with live view. For how I shoot, I really needed this. The Canon I was interested in was very heavy....not good for many reasons. There are some good point and shoot cameras, I just don't know which is best. My point and shoot is about 3 years old, but takes OK pics. I used it for the pics on my last post, since I didn't want to carry a heavier camera. There are some great cameras, but it can all be overwhelming. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHope the kayaking was fun!!
Cheers...Diane
Sorry about your camera! Your coffeecake looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteoh no, didn't you just get a new camera too? poor you drowning your camera, but you had a blast i bet!
ReplyDeleteps. had you never heard of baggies???!
oh and the cake looks delish!
No, it wasn't a new camera but it wasn't that old either! A baggie would have been a really good idea.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info Diane.
And Lisa, thanks for reading.
I left a Nikon out in a rain storm..Took 2 weeks.. good as new..I hope yours is better.
ReplyDeleteI seem to be collecting cameras and I love them all:)
I have 2 Nikons.. 950 and 4500..
My Oly SLR 510..and a Canon XSI(Kiss).And.. a Sony DSC H2 point and shoot.
Since 2001:) Not all yesterday:)and 2 were EBAY:) 1 was Office Max:)
I use them for my job..so they are tax deductible thank goodness.I use them all the time~
You know..you can..in most cases bring a camera home and try it for 2 weeks:)
I see you have taken many new shots:) Did I miss the one you bought?:) They look good!
I don't like nutella except when it's baked into somthing and it looks divine in this coffeecake. YUM!
ReplyDeleteWhat camera did you wind up buying? I'm looking to get a new one myself along with a macro lens for it.
~ingrid
Wow, what a phenomenal idea... Nutella Coffee Cake. I googled it to see if anyone had thought of it and you popped up. I am going to make this immediately. Love your baking blog! Check mine out :)
ReplyDelete