To say that March is not my favorite month is polite. March is a tough month to get through in Maine. It's not the dead of winter, but it's no where close to being spring. There's still several feet of snow on the ground. One day there might be a bit of warm sun to melt a little. The next day there could be another 8". There's nothing to look forward to in the month of March, except for the end of it. No holidays, no vacations - nothing but a root canal on the calender. I wish I was kidding.
In the spirit of optimism, I have come up with some ideas for surviving (and even thriving) in March.
1. It's going to be Healthy Eating Month at Mignardise!
This isn't a punishment for the all the fun we've had with baked goods. It'll be interesting, enlightening and delicious. Look for new recipes and ideas throughout March.
2. A fitness goal!
The club where I work out is having an Ultra-Athlete Challenge. You have to acquire 250 miles in 31 days, walking, running, on the cross-trainer, rowing machine and bike. That's a lot of miles and I am certainly no ultra-athlete. But I like having a quantitative goal. I like knowing it's for a finite period of time (although I fear it might make March seem even longer). And I like the fact that it might help me shed some of those cookie and margarita pounds I acquired at the ranch.
3. Schedule events!
This is a good time to do all those things you've said you want to do. I want to see the National Acrobats of China when they come to town. I want to support local businesses during Maine Restaurant Week. I want to go snowshoeing and skiing at least once more. And I want to hear what you've got planned, so leave me a comment with some good ideas.
So here's the deal...I'll help you get through March if you help me. Together, we can!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
March Madness
Labels:
healthy eating,
Maine Restaurant Week,
March
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


were you snowed in on new years? march in maine, its like a late new years resolution! i admire your goals... food and exercise are things i lost control of a decade ago, stick with it, i am the poster child for an early grave~
ReplyDelete250 miles is a lot... i used to walk 4 miles a day for years, i would be woefully lacking, but biking can pick up the pace a lot quicker. what about downhill skiing, is that cheating?
events are fun, today we played at the beach like teenagers with kites and frisbees. i am sure i will be sore tomorrow... sad huh!
march is madness in ca, it full on spring with a garden in dire need of weeding. what i need is 10 free laborers 24/7~
your month will fly buy with things to do and miles to get there, blink and you will be in the heart of summer!
Jain, than you so much for the pep talk. Part of the reason that March is so hard in Maine is because we know that it's truly spring in many other parts of the country. We won't see flowers until late April (if the snow melts). Had a storm last weekend that left us without power for 3 days. More predicted this week.
ReplyDeleteI'll try to stop whining now and start doing!
Karen, I hear your pain...just when I was encouraged to see grass, we get hit with a blizzard...
ReplyDeleteGreat goals! Exercise is key, and the cold makes it hard for me..I try to walk to the beach everyday, but when it is frigid, I tend to skip it!
Mid March is St.Patrick's Day...please join in the St Pat's Party on my blog, it is OPEN to all, any little celebration of the Wearin' of the Green..Mr. Linky will be up the night before...
Look fwd to seeing you! ♣
Good for you. Got back to walking myself and already feel better for it. Have decided that this month I'm adopting barley as the new pasta. So far so good. I'll let you know in April how it went.
ReplyDeleteI am curious how supporting Maine Restaurant Week will mesh with your fitness goal/healthy eating month theme though! I'm staying tuned.....
Ann, you know that commercial "every diet needs a little wiggle room"? That's how I view Restaurant Week. Had dinner at Seagrass the other night. It was delicious and the portions are reasonably sized so we didn't feel too stuffed.
ReplyDeleteAs of yesterday, 50 miles done, 200 to go!