Ok, we all know the Patriots should really be playing today. They demolished the Cardinals not too long ago. And Matt Cassel stepped in so sweetly for Tom Brady. And please, I don't want to hear any of that "Oh we're so sick of Boston winning everything" stuff from people who just wished they lived in New England.
So with the Pats out, today is all about 2 things for me: commercials and food. Having previously worked in the exciting and glamorous world of advertising, I have a great appreciation for all the work, time and cocktails that go into making a commercial. Having a blog, I also appreciate a day dedicated to junky food.
If you are sticking to your resolutions and being very good, look away now. Because what I have is tempting enough to make you forget your promises. Just for today.
I'm going classic Super Bowl food today. Guacamole, chili and peanut butter brownies.My family loves guacamole. When my kids were little, I fed them avocados as snacks - full of vitamins, good fat and soft, perfect baby food. My guacamole recipe is pretty basic, more of a suggestion really, open to interpretation. Add hot sauce if you like, use lemon instead of lime, use mayo or yogurt instead of sour cream, leave out the onions. You get the idea.
Mash 4 ripe avocados, but with some chunks remaining. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime.
Dice one tomato and 1/2 of a small red onion. Add to avocado.
Mince 1-2 cloves of garlic, add. Chop some cilantro, about 1/4 cup and add.
Stir in one heaping Tbsp. sour cream. Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper and a little chili powder and cumin, about 1 tsp. each. Mix well.
If making in advance, lay a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface before refrigerating.
If you read this blog regularly ( oh please read regularly! and urge your friends!), you'll know that chocolate and peanut butter has been somewhat of a constant theme. Brownies too. This recipe*stirs it all together. They're decadent and worth every calorie. Go back to your resolutions tomorrow.
*Note: I replaced the chopped peanuts with chopped mini-Reese's cups, and scattered the peanut butter chips on top. Go for it.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Game Day Guacamole and More
Labels:
chili,
guacamole,
peanut butter cup brownies,
Super Bowl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Hi Karen, I'm checking that brownie recipe out! They look wonderful.
ReplyDeleteBTW and FYI your blog status never changes! I added you to my blog list on my blog and it still says you haven't posted for 3 months! I wonder why?
Karen, just checked out the Epicurious recipe that you linked.... Thank you. And I love your replacements.
ReplyDeleteThe guacamole looks fabulous. I don't think I've ever seen a guacamole that I didn't like.
I LOVE the bowl it's in.
Karen, just went to Epicurious to look up the recipe. It really sounds like a winner. And I love your suggested replacements.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that I've ever seen a guacamole that I didn't like. And yours is no exceptions. Looks wonderful.
And, I LOVE the bowl that it is in.
Susan, I don't know why it doesn't change. I've tried to update it myself, no luck.
ReplyDeleteCynthia, I used to have a whole set of those bowls, 3 sizes. Sadly, this is all that's left. The brownies are VERY rich.
oh my gawd, i gasped at the brownies... i was happy enough wth guac, but choc is my Achilles heel. well its really my size 18, but who needs to read that! or worse see it...
ReplyDeleteyou need to change your setting to update the rss feeds for your blog. go to site feed, allow blog feeds, are you set at full? look at advanced and have all at full too.
opps i was so overjoyed with the brownies i forgot to thank you for a darling weekend! it was super!
ReplyDeleteI love your little green bowl! I also think that the Steeler's win this year (yet again) is a good thing for our New England fans. Now everyone can start hating on Pittsburgh for awhile and leave us alone.
ReplyDeleteExcellent point Erin! Thanks for checking in.
ReplyDelete