There's a reason we tolerate Maine winters.
Maine summers.
The solstice on Tuesday was absolute perfection. At 6 pm we thought, "How we can best take advantage of this?" We hopped in the car and headed to...
It's in Georgetown.
You go through Bath, where they build the wicked big ships, and take a right.
Go all the way to end.
You can enjoy the view.
And you can eat.
The lobster roll was just the way I like it - no mayo, toasted bun. The onion rings were the best I've had in a long time. Shatteringly crisp in a salt-and-pepper batter.
The fried clams were as fresh as possible, with big fat bellies. The tartar sauce was homemade.
Someone was eyeing our food jealously, hoping we might be distracted for a moment so he could swoop in.
No such luck.
As we were getting ready to leave, one of the lobsterman said,"If you stick around a little longer, one of the fishermen will be coming in with a big tuna haul. There'll be a big crowd coming down to the dock to see it."
(In Georgetown, a big crowd = 20 people.)
How could we possibly leave now?
We hung around a bit, enjoying the sunset, feeling the excitement build.
It wasn't too long before locals began to gather at the dock and the fishing boat
arrived to quiet applause.
A round-cheeked young man standing next to me proudly stated the captain was his dad. I asked if it was unusual to catch so many large tuna at once.
He said that last year his father caught three the entire summer.
Today, the first day of summer, he was coming in with four.
That one on the left was about seven feet long and close to 1000 pounds.
See this long bowsprit?
This is where the captain stands and throws the harpoon at the tuna.
That's right. He throws it. With his bare hands.
That man deserves a clam dinner and a beer. Or two.
We were told that the sale of those tuna to Japanese buyers would keep the family financially secure for the coming year.
How's that for a happy ending?
We said our congratulations and headed out to our happy ending.
To The Gelato Fiasco in Brunswick, for a cone of straciatella and bacio.
I'd call this pretty much the perfect Maine evening.
Karmic payback for the long, harsh winter.
I'll take the trade-off.
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Summer Solstice: Karmic Payback
Labels:
Five Islands,
Gelato Fiasco
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





what a great start to summer :)
ReplyDeleteGood choice!
ReplyDeleteloved your pics & story. Felt like I went on a mini-vacation over my cup of coffee.
ReplyDeleteLovely pics..Just watched a very cute movie..Brooklyn Lobster..Danny Aiello(SP?) Jane Curtin..you might like it!
ReplyDeleteI agree with NEK (above) I feel like we were there with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so tempted to go there this weekend, it's one of my favorite spots!
PS. Thanks for the photos and info about the valuable tuna, I had no idea it was that difficult to "land" (is that what they say?) Anyway, I'll appreciate that ol' can of tuna more the next time I open one!
Perfection. All of it.
ReplyDeleteOh wow. I want to live in Maine. Can't convince hubby that the winters are worth it. Sigh...
ReplyDelete{nodding head in agreement with NEK}, your post made me feel like I took a nice little jaunt out for a lobster roll and a sunset. What a nice break for a soggy, cold Friday afternoon, thanks!
ReplyDeleteA great piece of Adventure Dning!! I love the genre!
ReplyDeleteOh so sweet and SOOO yummy! I am starving for lobster and onion rings now!
ReplyDeleteOh Maine...how I miss your fried clams and lobster rolls.
ReplyDeleteYUM YUM YUM
Thanks for the note on my blog! I'm so happy to have found yours. I love that others feel the same way about Maine and Five Islands — It's really special! Good call on stopping by The Gelato Fiasco in Brunswick, too — one of my faves! I've got Special Hazelnut in my freezer right now! :) http://www.mainefoodiefinds.com
ReplyDelete