It's always been a dream of mine to work in a bookstore. so when this opportunity came up, I was thrilled.
It's the perfect job for me.
Talk about books. Recommend books. Look at new books.
Visit with customers, about half of whom I know. Many others become friends. Read books, when there are no customers.
And sometimes I get to meet the authors too.
For a small town, we actually have a number of authors who live here or nearby.
There's Lily King, whose most recent book, Father of the Rain
We also have Melissa Senate, who has a new book out called The Love Goddess' Cooking School
Debra Spark, author of Good for the Jews
And Ken Nye
Last week Jane Crosen stopped in. She's a mapmaker and cookbook author.
Jane draws detailed maps of Maine places by hand. If you have ever tried to draw a map by hand then you know how difficult this can be. Her maps are elegant in their simplicity and clarity.
One of them hangs over my daughter's bed in her college room, in landlocked Colorado.
Maine Mapmaker's Kitchen is her cookbook and it's an eclectic collection of creative and healthy recipes. There are lots of notes about growing food, variations on recipes and practical advice.
When she stopped in at the store, I blurted out, "My readers would love this! Can you donate one for me to giveaway?"
I don't think I even gave her a chance to think about it. She put her signature inside and handed the book to me. Thanks Jane!
Soooo, if you'd like to have this book for your very own, leave me a comment on this post.
Have you been to Maine? Where? If not, where would you most like to visit? And of course, what would you eat?
How about apple spice scones?
The recipe comes from Maine Mapmaker's Kitchen. As scones go, these are relatively healthful, with not too much butter, lots of whole grains and chunks of apple. The texture is nice and light. I added an apple cider glaze because I'm that kind of girl. (The kind who likes sweets.)
Note: Instead of the individual spices listed here, I used about 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice. I am also the kind of girl who is a little lazy.
Apple & Spice Scones
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup oat flour
1/4 cup whole oats or toasted wheat germ
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
3 Tbsps. chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3 Tbsps. canola oil
1 cup small-diced apple
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup milk + 1 Tbsp. yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
1/3 cup sanding, or coarse, sugar (optional)
Combine dry ingredients (flour through spices) in a large mixing bowl. Rub butter into mixture using your fingers, until you get the texture of coarse crumbs. Add canola oil and work in evenly, then add chopped apples and nuts (if using).
Preheat oven to 375. Grease 2 cookie sheets, or line with silicone baking liners (Silpat).
Measure milk and yogurt into measuring cup, add vanilla and egg, then whisk until well-blended. Pour into dry ingredients and stir briefly, just until flours are moistened.
Form balls of dough, one at a time, and press the tops into sugar (if desired). Place on baking sheet and flatten top slightly. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and place on cooling racks. When cool, you can top them with the cider glaze if you want.
Mix 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar with 2 Tbsps. apple cider. Mix until smooth.
A little cinnamon sugar wouldn't hurt either.



OMG. I have never baked nor eaten a scone in all my 49 years. I'm going to make these for sure. Too much life has passed by without a taste of a scone. Count me in on this recipe.
ReplyDeleteHave you been to Maine? Yes, many times.
ReplyDeleteWhere? Portland, Oqunquit, York Beach
Where would you most like to visit? Your kitchen!
And of course, what would you eat? Anything you are making! (but first a lobster roll)
I've never been to Maine but hope to someday!
ReplyDeleteI suppose I would east something from the sea!!
Thank you for entering me in the giveaway
Christa
I don't normally eat/like scones, but these look too yummy to pass up. I'm going to try them out.
ReplyDeleteI live in Wells, Maine! I love books, cookbooks, and authors too. My favorite Maine food is fried clams (and any and all desserts!). Thanks for the chance to win the book. ~Karen
ReplyDeleteAre they as good as they look?
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat job Karen..
I love Maine..vacationed there many times when the girls were small..Wells Beach too:)
Beth, sounds like scone time for you!
ReplyDeleteMarjorie, it would be fun to have you visit my kitchen What a great answer!
Christa, thanks for stopping by! I hope you get to Maine some day.
Julia, think of these like big cookies if that helps.
Karen, I love fried clams too - hot out of the fryer, eaten at the beach.
Yes, Monique, they're as good as they look.
Never been to Maine, only New Hampshire. Those scones look so good. They're definitely now on my to make list. Thanks for the recipe and the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteChris
zekks at yahoo dot com
I'm a recipe behind...just made the black bottom banana bread this morning....YUM, I think next time I might put the topping in between the layers.
ReplyDeleteI'm lucky enough to live in Scarborough! And need to make scones for a meeting in the morning.... and just happen to have apples. Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteThank you for spreading the word on Jane's wonderful maps! Christmas gifts for the husband's family will be so much easier this year - the Small Point to Muscongus Bay map will probably be the family favorite.
ReplyDeleteHey Chris, glad to have you here!
ReplyDeleteSusan, I think that's a brilliant idea. I might do the same.
Elaine! I didn't know you were local! Let me know how the scones turn out.
Casey, glad to help out. Her maps really are pretty amazing. The t-shirts are nice too.
Well I would love to try baking these scones if football season ever ends and I can spend just a few minutes in my kitchen. Wouldn't this be a lovely treat at Thanksgiving breakfast/brunch?! Love your topping idea.
ReplyDelete~Debbie
Karen I love your blog and the state of Maine. Been many times Bar Harbor my favorite. This cookbook looks great and I am going to make the scones this weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful cookbook and I have always loved maps. What a great combination! Looking forward to making these scones. Thanks for so many clever ideas.
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous of your job! Life is so interesting and rich and in books, well that's where you can tap in to so much. And then you get to meet all these interesting people. Don't know much about scones. Maybe I should try this one.
ReplyDeleteI think we'd get along well. I love books...one of the B's. :) I love sweets and I have learned to love a little "craziness"! :) I also, worked in two different bookstores.....part time (I already had a full time job) just 'cause I loved being around so many books. I also worked in the library as a page when I was in high school.
ReplyDeleteI'd like a scone to eat while I browse through the cookbook.
~ingrid
These look delicious...I will have to try them soon.
ReplyDeleteI had not been to Maine for many years but we were there this summer on holiday...we were in Oqunquit, Wells, took a ride to Portland for the day...we loved it. The water was a little bit too cold for us Jersey Shore people. The fabulous seafood was worth it! A gorgeous state!
I worked in Maine one summer in college. At a funky family owned resort called the Oakland House. Near the bridge to Deer Isle in a town called sargentville. Stephen King rented one of the cabins to write...and I went to a party of 'Paul's...of Peter Paul and Mary fame!
ReplyDeleteAnd the scones...Heavenly!
Karen, what a surprise to find this lovely shout-out for me and my new novel! Thanks so much. I come in quite often with my son, who pulls me straight to the back and the Nates and Wimpy Kids and Mercy Watsons, so I don't get too much opportunity to browse these days!
ReplyDeleteMaine Mapmaker's Kitchen sounds wonderful (as do those scones). I'm going to come in and check it out and say hi.
Thanks again!
What a great job! I've always quietly wanted to work in a bookstore, too. Who knows, with me, there's always tomorrow :) Lovely scones, great flavor.
ReplyDeleteThese scones look delicious ...I have to try them! Thanks so much for the chance to own the cookbook!
ReplyDeleteI love maps. They always start me dreaming of what I may find in familiar and unfamiliar territory. And I love scones and any new recipe for them. Thanks for the introduction to this lovely book. What a nice job you have!
ReplyDeleteThey look delicious!
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot of writers here in Southampton too. And celebrities. Fun to run into them at the grocery store.
They are all over the place out here, and none of the locals react, just the tourists! :)
Karen~Those scones look absolutely amazing!!!!
ReplyDeletemaking me hungry!
I would love to read that cookbook AND eat those scones at the same time!
Lisa
xo
Oh? Did I mention that I LOVE cookbooks almost as much as cookies!
ReplyDeleteI <3 Cookies!
Lisa
xo