Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Green Salad - No Lettuce

After a weekend full of clams, crafts and carnival rides, we were all ready for something healthy and fresh to eat.


Steamer the Clam at Yarmouth Clam Festival


All I wanted was something green. Aside from the limes in the lime rickeys, I had had nothing green in days.
Ouch.

This salad is as green and clean as you can get.  
The yogurt vinaigrette is tangy and herby with a hint of sweetness. 
It's delicious on practically anything. I used it on an Israeli couscous salad recently. Feel free to add other herbs that you might have growing. But don't leave out the mint! It just adds that something something that sets this apart.


And it's a perfect complement to these lightly blanched green vegetables.



I used broccolini, green beans and snap peas, with a few chopped scallions. Spears of zucchini would be good, as well as regular broccoli. Blanche each vegetable then be sure to immerse in ice water to stop the cooking and retain the bright color. Mix with the vinaigrette just before serving.

Yogurt Vinaigrette
adapted from Joy the Baker

1 cup plain yogurt ( I used fat free. If you like Greek yogurt, use that.)

1 Tbsp. Dijon, or other spicy mustard

1 Tbsp. honey or agave syrup

1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (parsley, chives, basil and/or tarragon)

1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped

1 small garlic clove, finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. 
If dressing seems too thick, you can thin it out with some lemon juice.

That's it! Now go eat your greens.




3 comments:

  1. This does sound delicious, Karen. It has lots of good flavors going on and I like the creamy yogurt base. I bet it is wonderful on sliced tomatoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Clam Festival....lucky you! I can sooo use a nofat healthy dressing. I love the idea of this on the Israeli couscous. Trader Joe's sells black lentils that I think I'll try it on too.

    Thanks Karen...have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I love the sliced tomatoes idea. It would be great on them! Thanks for checking in.

    And black lentils! Diane, I never even heard of them, so let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails