Thursday, May 13, 2010

Stir Crazy! Spring Green Risotto

Italian Food Map


Have I told you that I'm going to Italy?

I am! 
I mean we are - Bob and me. Next week, if the Icelandic volcano gods are willing.
Per favore...let me get to Italy...

The itinerary goes something like this: Florence, Cinque Terre, Lucca then back to Florence.
I am open to any and all suggestions from my dear readers who have been to any of these bella places lately.
Grazie!

So in order to get my taste buds into moda Italiano, I made risotto last night.
A lovely, luscious, incredibly rich risotto. Brimming with green spring vegetables and earthy shiitake mushrooms,  then smoothed out with a big spoonful of mascarpone.



Risotto, if you haven't tried it, is arborio rice, cooked slowly in wine and broth. It absorbs all the liquid and becomes something else entirely.  It's Italian comfort food, in all its creamy goodness. Just right for a cool spring night.

I won't lie to you. Risotto is labor intensive and may take a bit of practice to get it just right. You must continue to add more broth, then stir and stir and DO NOT STOP until each grain of rice gives way when bitten. If you still feel a hardness inside the grain when you bite into it, you are not done. 
Add more broth and stir some more.

But don't be intimidated, mia amicas! It's not a particularly difficult technique. And if you get tired of stirring, ask someone else to take it on for a few minutes. Sipping a glass of vino while you stir is also very helpful.



Spring Green Risotto adapted from Barefoot Contessa

1 1/2 Tbsps. olive oil

1 1/2 Tbsps. unsalted butter

2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only

1 1/2 cups arborio rice

2/3 cup dry white wine

4 - 5 cups chicken stock, simmering in a saucepan on the stove

1 lb. asparagus, preferably thin

10 oz. peas, defrosted if frozen or 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh peas

1/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced (optional)

1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest

2 Tbsps. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/3 cup mascarpone

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving

3 Tbsps. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Cut the asparagus diagonally in 1 1/2" pieces, discarding tough ends.
Blanch in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, until bright green and cooked al dente. Drain and cool.

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. 
Add the leeks and saute until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the vegetables and fats.
 Add the white wine and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed. Add the chicken stock, 2 ladles-full at a time, stirring constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, add the asparagus, lemon zest, 2 tsps. coarse salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. 
Continue cooking, adding stock and stirring until the rice is tender but still firm. This should take 30-35 minutes, but could take a bit longer. Be patient!!

If you are using the mushrooms, saute them briefly in a small frying pan, with a teaspoon of olive oil and a big pinch of salt. Add to risotto when they are lightly browned and soft.

Whisk the the lemon juice into the mascarpone in a small bowl. When the risotto is done, take it off the heat and stir in mascarpone mixture, plus Parmesan and parsley. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

Mangia!

14 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! We love risotto in any way shape or form...
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it looks fabulous, but i am so freaking jealous of your holiday... we were suppose to be in europe for a solid month leaving the end of may, had to cancel when the house sitter flaked...

    the last time we went to europe we stayed in florence, i love that town! we walked everywhere, stayed right next to the river and symphony hall, ahh such great memories. are you walking the cinque terre? i hope you are able to fly! we had actually planned on visiting iceland on our way home too... just call me the green eyed monster, hope you have loaded your kindle up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last year and I think it was one of my favorite risottos ever. Also, her butternut squash risotto was incredible. I could eat this every day....so good!

    Have fun, fun, fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ... Italy! My dream get-away. Maybe someday ..... enjoy and bring back wonderful tales and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, La moda Italiana. I make risotto or risi e bisi alot, but I cheat and make it in my rice cooker. I sautee an onion or shallot with some bacon, speck or ham and then add broth and arborio. Near the end of the cycle I add peas or whatever and right at the end cheese.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually never copy savory dishes..only sweet. However, that one is a keeper, and will make it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I wasn't about to leave for Italy again next week, I would be so jealous :)

    When you are in Florence - try a local favorite - 'Trattoria Sostanza' - true tuscan meal - all locals....

    "la Giostra" - more touristy - but still very good - the family that owns the restaurant is quite a trip!

    If you are near Panzano - which is mid-way between Florence & Sienna - you must visit Dario Cecchini's butcher shop - he is the most famous butcher in Italy. His restaurant is open Thur-Sunday only - a unique experience - especially for a foodie!!! Enjoy your trip - save travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin,
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. Sostanza is on my short list and we ate at La Giostra a couple of years ago. Very fun. Where are you going to be?

    Jain, find yourself a new housesitter and go! I'm sure there's someone who would love to stay at your beautiful home and take care of all those animals.

    Linda, Cyn and Helen - always wonderful to hear from you.

    Astheroshe, I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. I hope you enjoy the risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. luckyy you. What a lovely site and such. beautiful pictures. I love risotto as well and springg vegetables in it are my favorite ( I also love squash in it.)Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope to see you there again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a great time....just the 2 of you...sounds perfect! And hey, if the volcano blows, you get a bonus stay ;-)

    Love the look of the risotto....can't wait to try it!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well! How awesome is that!? Can't wait to hear all about it and see your lovely pix!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, the pic is beautiful and the recipe sounds delicious.
    Lucky you! Italy! I love Italy.
    Mangiare, bere e vivere la vita.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are still in Florence, Osteria Pepo is a great spot for ribollita the last time I was there!

    Kristin Teig

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope I'm not too late to recommend Ciak's in Monterosso (Cinque Terre). The best mussels and chocolate cake ever!
    Also, Restorante Miky - excellent crusty fire baked dishes. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails