Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bunny Bunny Sugar Sugar



If you think Halloween or Valentine's Day is the sweetest holiday, think again.

I'm declaring this Easter a certified sugar overload.

Here's why...
On Halloween, the candy is "fun-sized".
On Valentine's Day, it's all about chocolate.
But Easter is the official jelly bean holiday, and what are jelly beans? Pure sugar.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And Peeps? Again, nothing but sugar.

Yes there's chocolate, in the form of a big bunny.
I think you could consider chocolate the nutritional powerhouse of the Easter basket. Relatively speaking, of course.

Running with the sugar theme, I made a few special treats of my own.



Coconut and white chocolate nests. No skill required.
No cooking, no baking, just making. I didn't even measure anything.

Melt a bunch of white chocolate chips, about a half a bag.
When melted, stir in a bunch of shredded coconut, about a cup if you really need to me to quantify it.
Drop a big spoonful onto a piece of wax paper, then using either the spoon or your fingers, create a nest shape. Nestle in a few malted milk balls, jelly beans or peanut M&Ms. Place in fridge to harden, about one hour.

If you want to get really fancy, you can dye the coconut green. Put it in a plastic bag, add a few drops of green food coloring and shake to distribute evenly.

You can also use regular chocolate, for a more rustic look.



We also made Easter bark. Because sometimes one layer of sugar just isn't enough.



It looks really pretty and the little one enjoyed the process, but I can't say much about the taste. It was made with those horrific candy melts that you get in the craft store. I'm not even sure they're edible. But the kids have no problem with them, no problem at all. Again, it's sugar.

Melt a bag of each color (I used yellow, pink and green). Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment. Pour some of each color in a random pattern onto the paper. Using a knife, swirl colors together. After 5 minutes you can add whatever else you want on top - sprinkles, crushed malt balls, more candy. Be sure to press it in a bit, so it doesn't fall off when you break up the bark. Which you can do when it hardens, in about an hour.




So I figured the best thing to do is wrap it all up, and give it to "friends".
Because come Easter morning, I think the EB will bring us all the sugar we can handle.

7 comments:

  1. I think the bark is pretty too:) Very Easter Bonnet like..Happy Easter~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've been busy. I'm a complete Easter flunkie this year. The nests are so cute. Hope your holiday is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take a side order of insulin to go with that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Easter bunny will not be bringing my children any candy! I like to limit their intact but it's really because they are horrible at throwing the wrappers in the garbage!!

    Happy Easter!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingrid, that's funny because my kids do that too. They leave the wrappers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cartoon is too cute and so are the nests! Sugar seems to abound at every corner and I have a sweet tooth...a big one.

    I saw your Easter pics on FB...so adorable. You are one handsome family!!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Diane! That sweet tooth is a big problem here too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails