Monday, March 22, 2010

Spa Chocolate Ganache

Yes, I know I've been AWOL.
My apologies.

I have been riding the roller coaster from the high of a vacation at a lovely spa to the low of a hellish and urgent search for a new home/owner for my daughter's beloved horse.

Something had to give and last week it was blogging. 

I was supposed to be de-toxing and de-stressing at Canyon Ranch - a mother-daughter getaway with my college girl, home on spring break. You know, like eating less sweets, no wine with dinner, exercising and enjoying it all.

There was the 7 mile hike. Even though it was 60 degrees at the base, there was plenty of snow on the mountain.



There was the facial and aromatherapy massage, both wonderful.

The food was very good of course. Heavy on the fresh vegetables, portion-controlled protein, whole grains. Some how they manage to make a baked sweet potato taste like an indulgence. 

I was doing just fine, going the Puritan route.
Until I saw a sign offering a cooking class with a theme. 
The theme was chocolate.

 I had to do it. I had to it for you, dear readers. 
How could I pass up a chance to learn about chocolate and chocolate desserts that are actually lower in fat and calories, and yet extremely delicious?  Taught by the wildly popular pastry chef Billy Boudreau?
Ignoring this opportunity would have been pure craziness!

So after a full day of Cardio Circuit class, yoga and some torturous activity called "Abs on the Ball",  I took my sorry self to the demo kitchen, ready to bake and learn, like a good food blogger should. 
Really, I would have gone straight to bed.
 But I so didn't want to disappoint you.
You're welcome.



Billy was prepping some ganache that would later be made into truffles. 
He was also soaking tea bags in hot water, to be used in Chocolate Chai Cupcakes. 

He greeted us by expertly piping some of the ganache and filling them with dried cherries and crystallized ginger.


They were placed in the refrigerator. Later we rolled them into balls and dipped them in a coating of chopped nuts.
Hint from Billy: Always sift nuts after grinding them for a neater, cleaner look. Sifting gets rid of the messy looking "nut dust".

A chopped pineapple was also dipped in the ganache and coated with nuts.


 If you're thinking, "Ganache? At a health spa?", I have one word for you: evaporated skim milk.
Ok that's three words, but one ingredient.

Usually ganache is made with chocolate and heavy cream. This version replaces the heavy cream with evaporated skim milk, cutting the fat content by... a lot.
Billy also suggests using coconut milk instead of heavy cream. The coconut flavor won't be very strong and this is another good way to make a lower fat truffle.
You can also flavor the milk with a huge variety of ingredients - orange zest, instant coffee, peppermint tea, or a cinnamon stick to name a few. Get creative.

Here's the basic recipe. I'd love to know if you try it and what you made.

Chocolate Ganache from Canyon Ranch

1/3 cup evaporated skim milk  (coconut milk, almond milk, or soy milk can be used instead)

2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat milk until just before boiling. Stir in chocolate. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk together.

If you're going to use it for truffles, either fill a pastry bag with the ganache and pipe them out onto parchment, or refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour) and scoop onto parchment. 

You might use that hour for some sort of aerobic exercise or a few push-ups. That would be the Canyon Ranch way.

And the horse? He was moved to a new home today and so far he seems to like it. The mare in the other paddock appeared to be flirting with him as I left.





10 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a wonderful get away! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goody .... a lower calorie version of delicious treats! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us along! And for the recipe..You know one day I'll try it:) What a nice spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. New home for the horse. Did your Daughter have him at school?

    The Chocolate. Just stop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, Ace was at a barn that had to close. He had to be moved asap and it took a bit of work to find him a new place. Would you like to adopt him???

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMM. the chocolate covered pineapple looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made ganache....with heavy cream. Who knew it could be made with evaporated milk. I AM trying this.

    That is a dream trip for you and your daughter. What a great bonding experience. It gave me an idea for when my daughter returns after 2 years away.

    Thanks Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna, NEED a vacation....by myself! I'm with my three 24/7.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely trip to go to the Spa with your daughter! The chocolate ganache looks great! What a fun time!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails