Of all the things you'd expect me to make and give as a food gift this year, I'll bet this one never even entered your mind...
Granola.
Sure I could have gone the fudge route.
I certainly have nothing against fudge. In fact, I probably like it a little too much.
I briefly considered - and rejected- chocolate bark, almond toffee, coffee cakes, peppermint brownies, caramel sauce, chocolate truffles, even homemade marshmallows.
I'm pretty sure any of them would be warmly welcomed by my friends and my kids teachers.
But I went with granola.
You're shaking your head in wonder, aren't you? You thought you knew me.
Well guess what? I really like granola.
(But nowhere nearly as much as I like chocolate. Let's not get ridiculous).
I went to college in Vermont where granola is the state food.
Granola is homey and healthy.
It keeps a long time.
You can package it in all kinds of cute jars and bags.
People are secretly glad for a break from all that sugar.
And the number one reason I made granola...
is because it's wicked easy.
As we say in Maine.
This recipe is inspired by one that 2 Stews (a beautiful, very delicious blog) posted last spring. After a bit of trial and error (and burnt oats), I find this works well. I'll give you measured amounts, but feel free to ignore them. Use any kinds of nuts you like, and any kind of dried fruit. I added some crystallized ginger because I am a little obsessed with it and I like the zing it adds.
Holiday Granola
4 cups of whole oats
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup slivered or chopped almonds
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup maple syrup
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a heavy roasting pan with non-stick foil. Pour all of the ingredients listed above into the pan and mix well.
Roast in oven 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir well and roast another 10 minutes.
Remove and stir it again. Place back in oven and roast until lightly golden, about another 5-8 minutes, checking often.
The edges tend to burn very quickly so keep an eye on it!
Remove from oven and allow granola to cool.
Mix in 1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit) and 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, diced small.
That's it.
Wicked easy, huh?


It IS wicked easy, and that is exactly why I made huge amounts and bagged it up for Christmas gifties! My recipe is very similar to yours, tho I added cranberries to one batch and dates and apricots to the other.
ReplyDeleteI am in love with you.
ReplyDeleteLet me back up for a minute. Like a month ago you came to my blog and left a comment, which was totally cool of you. So, first I apologize for being a month behind on the Inbox From Hell.
I'm late in stopping by your front porch but dude, you had me at "Wicked."
I have a total crush on Maine. I want to move to Maine even though I have never been in Maine.
Although it will be slumming for you to come down to my Maryland blog, I hope you'll stop down again.
And that we can be best friends (and like go out to lunch with Stephen King and hang out on Martha's islands together) when I move to Maine.
Also? Love granola.
Sorry for rambling- hope to see you again soon!
Cheers!
xo
m
Agreed - great choice - have done similar and surprised me that got a "wow" reaction -- have added in dried apples or cranberries, and on occasion chocolate chips (mmmm....)
ReplyDeleteKaren, shouldn't you be out shopping?
ReplyDeleteCyn, we certainly think alike! I was thinking about dried apricots too.
ReplyDeletemarymac, I am SO glad and flattered that you stopped by. You're blog is hilarious. We can hang out any time - in Maine if you want. But FYI, Martha's Vineyard (the island) is off Massachusetts. Close enough.
Brahm, so awesome to hear from a new reader. Thanks for reading and many, many thanks for commenting. Totally agree about the chocolate chips. Stay warm.
Judith, I spent the afternoon at Target. How about you?
I should try to make my own granola. I love it (and so do my kids!) but have a hard time 1)Finding one I really like that's neither too sweet nor too bland... 2) Paying $$$ when I finally love one. As always, cooking from scratch is the answer! Granola, I'll make.
ReplyDeleteWell YUM!
ReplyDeleteI love this idea.
Granola...who knew?
You know, I LOVE your beautiful blog!
granola in maine, geesh i so thought i was a ca thing! just popping in to wish you and your family a very merry christmas and thank you for sharing at food with style!
ReplyDeleteWell, why didn't I think of that...I had to go and make crazy chocolate things. It's granola next year ;-))
ReplyDeleteWe should get together and cook in the New Year...what fun that would be!
Happy Holidays to you and the family!
Diane
Gaelle, you should definitely try making your own. Way more cost-effective.
ReplyDeleteLinda, thanks so much for the nice compliment. I love your too!
Diane, it would be loads of fun to get together and cook! Something chocolate?
Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.
Karen, made a second batch of granola and added almond slivers, i always add cinnamon and cranberries. It is so delicious. Thanks
ReplyDelete