The invitation says "Bring an appetizer".
Sure, you could get away with a big piece of cheese and a sleeve of crackers. Put some grapes on the plate to make it look pretty. We've all done it and it's a nice appetizer, but not memorable.
Sometimes, the occasion calls for a bit more. Nothing fussy or precious or wrapped in this and rolled in that. Just something that tastes good with a glass of wine and doesn't require you to put that glass down to eat.
I made this chicken satay the other night and it was popular with everyone. It has all the Asian flavors I love and a spicy-sweet dipping sauce. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients. If you've ever made my Coconut Curry Chicken Soup , I know you have them in your house already.
Give it a try...so much better than a wedge of cheddar.
Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce, adapted from Ellie Krieger
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup light coconut milk
2 Tbsps. soy sauce
1 shallot, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tsps. Thai fish sauce (or 2 additional teaspoons soy sauce)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. lime zest
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlet (thin), cut into 1" strips
8" bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least 20 mins.*
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest and ginger. Add the chicken strips and marinate for one hour.
Brush a nonstick grill pan with vegetable oil, and heat it on medium-high. While the pan is heating, remove chicken from marinade and thread onto bamboo skewers. Discard marinade.
Grill 3-4 minutes each side, or until meat is cooked through.
(This can also be done on an outdoor grill.)
Garnish skewers with cilantro, chopped peanuts and a lime wedge or two.
Serve with...
Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
3 Tbsps. soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsps. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsps. fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbsps. lime juice
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 tsp. chili flakes, or to taste
1 tsp. red curry paste
1 shallot, chopped
Place all ingredients on blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
This can be made a day or two ahead of time.
*When I began making these I thought I had bamboo skewers. Turns out I was wrong. So I cooked the chicken on metal skewers, then removed it and cut it into bite-size pieces. Serve with toothpicks.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Chicken Satay and Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Labels:
appetizers,
chicken satay,
Ellie Krieger
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


This looks like a keeper recipe and a much better option to the cheese and crackers...I want to try your soup, too! Yum!
ReplyDeleteDiane