Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kitchen Envy

My kitchen is nice.
I have sunny yellow hand-distressed cabinets, an Absolute Black honed granite counter top and hardwood floors.
I have an industrial looking Viking stove (it came with the house) and my two favorite small appliances.
I also have big windows and, lucky me, a gorgeous view.

But the other day, my friend Sharon invited me to her house for dinner. Her house is recently renovated and it is fabulous. The kitchen is very large with all the bells and whistles, but the piece de resistance is an enormous black Aga stove. I cannot even begin to accurately describe what this incredible thing does and how it works. 



Let me just say this, it's on all the time. You never turn it off. 
There are two sort of "hot plates", one always set for boiling and the other for simmering.
One oven compartment roasts. One bakes. One warms. 
I think one might even be a particle collider, but I'm not really sure. 





All I know is that Sharon made us a delicious meal and she didn't even break a sweat.
If you don't happen to have an Aga, I'm sure this would be wonderful made on any other type of
 stove. Serve it with linguini or maybe some Israeli couscous.
Oh yes, and please note the gorgeous Italian copper cookware. Sold separately.




Simmered Shrimp Sauté With Shiitake Mushrooms And Scallions
Serves 4
 

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small dice

2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced

4 large shiitake mushroom caps, very thinly sliced

coarse salt

freshly ground black pepper

2 plum tomatoes, cut into small dice

3 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced on a bias

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup store-bought, reduced-sodium chicken broth or homemade Chicken Stock 

1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 pounds peeled, butterflied, deveined large shrimp

1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Melt the 2 tablespoons room-temperature butter in a wide, deep saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook gently until softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.

Turn the heat up to high. Just as the butter starts to sizzle, add the wine. Boil until the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and lemon juice and bring to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the diced, cold butter, a few pieces at a time, swirling it in as it's added. (Do not allow the liquid to boil once the butter has been added. The sauce should look like a buttery broth, if it appears excessively thick, stir in few tablespoons of hot water.) Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Season the shrimp and salt and pepper, and add them to the pan, making sure to immerse them in the liquid. Cook over medium-low heat just below a simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and firm. Add the capers and scallions, toss and cook for 30 seconds. Add the parsley and basil and toss to combine. Remove from the heat.

To serve, divide the shrimp and sauce among 4 warm bowls.


Note: Sharon used a combination of the shrimp and some small scallops. Loved it!

3 comments:

  1. I think the first time I heard of an Aga was when I read The Shell Seekers about a hundred years ago. I was in love with the idea until I figured out it ran all the time -- not exactly something we could have here, sadly. They're such beautiful pieces and I can just picture a traditional kitchen where it's warm and cozy -- a place to camp out all day in. The sautee sounds fabulous and just might be on the dinner menu tonight. I'll keep you posted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you're so right. Aga is perfect for places where there's a lot of cold weather - not California!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh good, a real recipe on your food blog...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails