Monday, March 9, 2009

Very Tasty Turkey Meatballs

It's Monday and it's snowing again.
Really, it's the third Monday in a row. At least the kids made it to school. You should see the cute dog team and sled that picks them up!

Just kidding...


Since it's still so wintery, I am still very much into comfort food. But remember, it's Healthy Eating Month here at Mignarise, so the comfort food will be slimmed down.
There's nothing to warm your heart and tummy like spaghetti and meatballs.  I would eat whole wheat pasta, but the kids won't.  Barilla Plus makes a great compromise, because even though it's made with all kinds of healthy grains, fiber and protein, it tastes a lot like the regular old white pasta.
And please don't be horrified, but I often use sauce from a jar. Doctored up of course (did you honestly think I'd just serve it straight from the jar? Not that there's anything wrong with that).
Chop up, very small, half an onion, 2 carrots and some red bell pepper (or any other vegetable you like). If you dice the vegetables small enough even picky children won't notice them. Saute the vegetables, along with a clove or 2 of garlic, in a little olive oil. When it's soft, pour your jar of sauce over it. Tastes like you made it all by yourself. Which you did.
And when the meatballs are done, plop them into the sauce too, then simmer about 15 minutes before serving.

Very Tasty Turkey Meatballs

1 lb. ground turkey breast

1/4 cup panko or fresh bread crumbs (use the dried only as a last resort)

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 egg + 1 egg white

2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil

1 Tbsp. tomato paste


1 Tbsp. dried minced onion

1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Place all ingredients, except turkey, into a bowl and mix well, making sure eggs are well incorporated.
Add turkey and using your hands or a fork, combine with ingredients very well.
Form meatballs, about the size of golf balls, with wet hands. Place on parchment paper.
Bake for about 20 minutes. You can cut one open to make sure it's cooked through (it'll be completely white). Drop into spaghetti sauce, if desired.

 Buono appetito!

5 comments:

  1. it looks good~ i am not a sauce person, so frankly, the jar works for me!

    poor you with more and more snow... today was a great garden day for me, i even got my first color in the cheeks for the year~ more rain next week, but this week is fab.

    before i forget, wanted to say i LOVE your lake house, you sure do live the good ife! i used that same website to rent a condo in fl and villa in tuscany~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally caught up with all of your posts since AZ. I have never made meatballs in the oven...novell idea!! My favorite however would have to be the pink prickly pear punch (say it ten times fast). I could use one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jain. I bet you have loads of fresh tomatoes in the summer and could make some great sauce. When tomatoes are in season here, I'll post a recipe which is my all time favorite.

    Hey Deb, glad you could catch up. Sometimes I do pan fry the meatballs, but this way has less fat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking kids may want to go to school if a dog & sled team picked them up. I know I would ;)

    My husband loves meatballs and most of the time I'm way too lazy to make them. As far as the bottled sauce goes, I always have one in my pantry, or at least a can of good roma toms to start something with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm looks good. Never thought to make meatballs from turkey meat. I will surely give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails