Welcome to Healthy Eating Month at Mignardise!
I was all psyched up to really eat well this month - low fat, low on white foods (except cauliflower) and vitamin-packed. Then we got another snowstorm and the kids were home from school. So what did I do to cope? I took a coffee cake out of the freezer and ate it, sliver by sliver.
But now the roads are plowed and I'm back on track. For dinner tonight I made a corn bisque that tasted rich and creamy but had exactly two tablespoons of heavy cream in the whole thing. It would be fabulous when fresh corn is in season, but it was still delicious using frozen. And it got two thumbs up from the peanut gallery.
This recipe doesn't make a huge amount, but could easily be doubled. But remember, an important part of healthy eating is portion control. Try serving this with a big green salad, topped with some nuts for protein.
Creamy Corn Bisque, adapted from a Canyon Ranch recipe
2 Tbsps. leeks, finely diced
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
2 Tbsps. celery, finely diced
1 1/2 tsps. olive oil
2 tsps. whole wheat flour ( I always use ww pastry flour - it's finer)
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 cups (plus one more) low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 bay leaf (fresh, if you can find it)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. no-salt seasoning, like Mrs. Dash
a few drops of hot pepper sauce, or to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsps. heavy cream
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Saute leeks, onions and celery until soft.
2 Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups of broth and remaining ingredients, EXCEPT cream. Cook 15-20 mins. or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Discard bay leaf.
4. Transfer 3/4 of soup mixture to blender and puree until smooth.( At this point you may want to add more broth to thin it out a bit. I probably used another 3/4 cup).
5. Add puree to remaining ingredients. Stir in heavy cream, and reheat on low if necessary.
Garnish with some chopped parsley or chives, if desired.
Coffee cake makes a nice dessert. Just a sliver.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


looks delish, its been pouring here today, wish i had planned ahead for your soup!
ReplyDeleteyou are skipping white food, me, i am eating brown alone tonight~ brownies...
yep i am the poster child on what not to look like when aging! keep up your good work~
I may be skipping white food, but I'm still eating brown...like chocolate!
ReplyDeleteTry not to be so hard on yourself Jain. You do so much, I'm always in awe.
Hope you get some sun soon.
this soup sounds fantastic! I am trying to eat healthier too so I will remember this recipe.
ReplyDeletelooks healthy
ReplyDeleteI like it when the peanut gallery gives two thumbs up. Mine would agree with yours on this one. We love corn chowdah...well, corn anything.
ReplyDeleteWow Karen, this looks awesome. I'm always looking for a simple to make, healty soup recipe and since I always freeze a bunch of corn at the end of summer this one is going to the top of my list for next winter. In the meantime, since I'm out, I'm putting frozen corn on my list for my next trip to the market! Woo hoo!
ReplyDeleteKelly, are you sure you're not from Maine? Chowda is how we say it.
ReplyDeleteAnn, let me know how it works out. Enjoy!
Karen,
ReplyDeleteI made this when you first posted it and we loved it. I am going to make it again tonight as the cold winds continue to blow outside and spring still seems to far away!
Glad you like it Kathy! It is a good choice for a cold spring day. Feels like January here today too.
ReplyDelete