Friday, October 31, 2008

I Want Candy

I'm sure you're all anxiously awaiting my HOH Part II post, but that'll have to wait, because it's Halloween. I love candy, don't you? Butterfingers, Junior Mints, Tootsie Rolls, Raisinets - all favorites. I hope my daughter gets lots of them to share with me. I wish it was ok for adults to ring doorbells and ask for candy. It seems alright to knock on your neighbors door and ask for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Next time ask for what you really want - a Reeses peanut butter cup.

I hosted a small Halloween party last night, at the urging of my youngest child. It's really the most fun holiday for a party because you have a theme and can do so many things with it. Spooky, silly, sinister, scary, sexy - choose one. The best part of a party like this is the decorating. Here's how my table looked:
 One large glass dish in the middle filled with Hershey's kisses, surrounded by a variety of glass containers with black and orange jelly beans, candy corn, and chocolate "eyeballs". Two black metal  tree-shaped candelabras, a couple of mini pumpkins and some glittery Halloween garland, topped off with one skeleton. The black tablecloth was actually a king-sized sheet, purchased just for the occasion.

There are so many great Halloween recipes out there, but I went mostly with kid favorites - mummy wrapped mini hot dogs, chicken tenders and sloppy joe meatballs. The mummy dogs were definitely the favorite. Adults were served more interesting dishes. Frankenstein (Green Goddess) dip with red and yellow peppers and baby carrots. Baked shells with squash. And a green salad (thanks, Cheryl). But the hit of the party was the Ghoul Punch. Delicious on its own for the kids, the adult version was punched up with raspberry-flavored vodka. Mmmm.
As my guests said good night, they were given a container of caramel corn I made using a recipe from Elle's New England Kitchen, another fun food blog. I usually don't do anything with caramel. Too many things can go wrong and then all you're left with is sticky pans. But this caramel corn is made in the microwave. It's brilliant and addictive. Give it a try! ( I added salted almonds.)
Frankenstein (aka Green Goddess) Dip

1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt

1 cup low fat sour cream

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 c. snippped fresh chives

2 tsps. anchovy paste

1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar

2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper, to taste

1/2 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped

1/4 c. fresh tarragon or thyme, coarsely chopped

2 Tbsps. water

Fresh vegetables for serving (whatever you like)

Puree yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, anchovy paste, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Add parsley, tarragon or thyme and water, blending until mixture is pale green and smaooth. Scrape down sides as necessary.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with vegetables. Or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This is also delicious over salmon!

If you eat this healthy dip and all your vegetables, you certainly deserve a candy bar afterwards. I'll bet your next door neighbor has one waiting for you.

3 comments:

  1. Karen, this is great! I will keep checking back. Have fun! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love candy... and i love caramel corn. there, i said it! i am afraid to even look at the recipe, your pic is pretty darn enticing and the last thing i need is a new addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is hard to admit that as a grown-up we like candy that much. And caramel corn. But there's our confession, in public.
    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I welcome all comments as long as they are friendly and respectful. Please don't say anything you wouldn't want me to say to you. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails